East Harlem Online Discussion Forums  

Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > Economic/Political > Community Boards
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2001, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Talking Community Boards, Community People

All of East Harlem's Community Boards are governed by volunteers. What I call East Harlem People. Its not something most people think about when they think about boards in general. Most think about policy, infighting, goal setting, etc... in other words, the work of the boards.

But it is sometimes good to remember that most boards are manned by volunteers who could be home with their families, but who choose to give of themselves to community service instead. Do you know anyone on East Harlem's various community boards, Community Board # 11, Community School Board # 4, Neighborhood Advisory Board, 23rd Precinct Community Advisory Board, the 25th Precinct Community Advisory. If not, why not. Have you ever attended a public meeting of any of the above boards? Try it, you'll learn alot. For information about meeting dates for these boards goto http://www.east-harlem.com/calendar.htm
Old 05-04-2001, 10:56 AM

Education in El Barrio

Hi Everyone,
I have a 5 year old daughter, I've been trying to get her into a good school. I am having a hard time. But what i'd really like to see is some web sites up, for these schools dicussing their philosophy and showing pictures of the class rooms.
Any suggestions???
KE
Old 05-04-2001, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Good Schools

Kristina,
I have a recommendation for you about a good school for your daughter.
It's BBMS. BBMS stands for Bilingual BiCultural Mini School. Don't let the
name fool you. It's part of P.S. 83. which always scores high on state
standards tests. My three children attended the school, with my youngest
child leaving just last year. All three are in the same high school in
East Harlem.

As a former Community School Board # 4 member, I can say that BBMS
is a very good school. The principal Mrs. Arroyo is involved with her kids and with
what they learn. To Enter BBMS, your child must be tested. (simple test
involving shapes and colors).

Right now may be the right time to starting inquiring about school entrance procedures.

Jose
Old 05-04-2001, 03:21 PM

Hi jose,
Yesterday i had a conversation with maggie Torres at BBMS, I told her all about my little girl Rio, And we are going to work out a good time for all of us to meet when i speak to her again on monday morning. I read very good things about the school in the parents guide to New York City's best Public elementary schools. I've also inquired about other gifted programs in district 4. I personally went to River East on 115th street and pleasent, I wouldnt mind Sending Rio there(that's my little girls name) but I want something different for her. I applied to 14 private schools this year for her, The Best in NY. but she didnt get into one. so here i am resorting to Public school. I have to tell you. I learned so much during this process, and the most important lesson i've learned is, what ever school she goes to she'll be ok because she has a very possitive home inviornment and a family that loves and supports her.......

Thank You for the recomendation and I will let you know how the interview and tour goes of BBMS.
KE
Old 05-05-2001, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Excellent!

Kristina Elena,

You remind me of my wife. When getting back to El Barrio from 10 years of
military service, she did all the foot work to find out about the best schools
for my three children. My sisters kids all went to BBMS and then on to
private high schools. They are just finishing college now.

I find BBMS is great for kids who apply themselves. I never had so much homework
as they did. And I went to private schools my whole life (Catholic). Though
they will not learn as much Spanish as you may believe from the name of the
school. But the principal is dedicated and does not take any excuse to failure.
The teachers are just as dedicated.

Whatever school Rio goes too (great name, how did you come about it),
she will be find. Its helps as you said that she has support at home. If you
read a lot and Rio sees that, she will see reading as important too. My kids
love to read and read and read, it improves their vocabulary and has the added
bonus of getting them higher scores on standardized test (Reading speed and
comprehension). If you need any assistance let me know.

Old 05-10-2001, 12:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gloria
Thumbs up Schoo District web info

www.nycenet.edu

Hi Kristina Elena,

thought you might be interested in the above website... it does have some school webpages, and you can search by district.
(East harlem= Community School District #4); it can also provide you pertinent stats like school evaluations.

Yes, i have worked with BBMS myself since I am a Young Adult Librarian with NYPL. Good kids and the assignments I have encountered are mentally and educationally stimulating.

I also will be doing the same school journey with my daughter, Sophia. Shes only two but I am already looking into schools for her. I do have a preference for enrolling her in private school, I attended private school myself (all due to the numerous sacrifices my mother did). But you're absolutely right in factoring in a loving supportive home environment. Regardless of what kind of school our daughters will be attending, that's what's most important. Thats why I wish there were more parents that take an interest in their child's education. Yes, teachers have their job to teach our kids academics, but life skills are taught at home. The love for learning has to continue beyond 3 pm and through the summer break.

Best of luck,
Gloria
Old 05-10-2001, 10:05 AM

HI Gloria,
Thank you for writing me.
This Winter I applied to 13 independent schools. I just knew all of them would fall in love with Rio(my little girl) and there was no way in the world they wouldn't accept her. well in February I got all the responses, and she didn't get into one. the director of the school she's in now through out this exmissions process always told me to look into public schools. I never ever wanted her to go to public school. I went to the public schools in El Barrio and hated every second of it, I always wished my mom could move but she couldn't. I am very disappointed that I couldn't get her into one of those private Schools. I live in the same neighborhood that I was raised in, so I'm not happy about the way this working out. what can I do? but do my homework. I've been researching test scores and class sizes. Public school web sites are hard to come by and when I get them on the phone asking for literature or what their philosophy is, they don't know what to say. I am Worried.
KE
Old 05-14-2001, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Yes, thank you

Thanks for the reply Gloria.
And good luck with placing your duaghter. It's never too early to start.
And it looks like you have a great head start. (No pun intended).

Jose