Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2001, 09:34 PM

Exclamation Important Meeting

Hello Jose and fellow forum members,

Over the weekend I was handed a flyer regarding C.V. Fields (Boro Pres.)town hall meeting that will be held on Wed. 8/1 from 6 - 8 pm at Mt. Sinai Hosp. (1425 Mad. Ave. - 98th St.). Meeting is regarding the Edison Schools proposal to build a school (k-5) and its headquarters at 110th st and 5th Ave. The school will also house a museum. It proposes an estimated 125 million investment in El Barrio, jobs, and more money for local businesses.

Has anyone heard about this. Some people I've spoken to haven't and others have told me that there is opposition mounting because it's wanted elsewhere, specifically in central harlem (I couldn't understand that one...)

The flyer states that there is support from Community Board # 11 for it as well as others.

I believe that all East Harlem residents need to attend and find out what is being proposed. If it benefits us then we should support that it stays here in East Harlem. Due to the empowerment zone funds it looks like 125th st. and surrounding areas are reaping much benefits from it. However, I don't see the same for East Harlem. IT'S TIME.... I think we need to have a say in what happens here in our community and not let others decide for us. THE TIME HAS COME FOR EL BARRIO TO RISE AGAIN. (of course, these are my opinions...)

Does anyone have an opinion on this????
Old 07-30-2001, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Diana,
I received the same flyer in my mail over the weekend from Board # 11. I will be attending, maybe write for the web site. It should be interesting. I will keep an open mind on the Edison School. My friend Francisco Diaz has become a consultant with the Edison Schools. The Museum makes sense, but I wonder if it may not be better placed in Harlem? I can see where it makes sense though being part of Museum Mile.

I would appreciate a statue of Tito Puente across from the Duke Ellington one at 110th and 5th.

See you at the meeting.
Old 08-02-2001, 10:13 PM

A friend told me about the meeting last night. My guess is that the meeting was 'stacked' with supporters of the Edison School.

I am ambivelent about the school and not too happy about the African American Museum. That baby should go up in Harlem proper. Just extend Museum mile up to Harlem.
Old 08-03-2001, 09:37 AM

Edison Meeting

Muaddib,

To my surprise there was a big turnout. The auditorium did not hold all of them which leads me to believe that they didn't think that there would be a big turnout.

Actually, there was a mix of pro and con Edison. I am curious as to your response...you're not too happy about the African Museum. May I ask you why? and your ambivalence to the Edison school I'd like to hear your point of view.
Old 08-03-2001, 05:57 PM

Sure Diana,
I am ambivelant about the School because of its corporate nature. So part of me doesn't trust it to put children first and the other part of me knows that it will a 'private' school will usually be better than the failed public schools. If I had to choose, I'd support the school. It's better to try something than to do nothing at all.

The museum is a different story. I believe in the different minorities cooperating with each other. But I see no such evidence of this happening in El Barrio. What I see is that when an African-American institution has the opportunity, it will always give African-Americans the edge in our community. That's putting it nicely.

My DISTRUST of the African-American leadership comes by virtue of their dominance in East Harlem Politics. The community board is 'stacked' with African-American members and committee chairs even though El Barrio is 52% Hispanic and only 38% African American. The board is the opposite, 33% Hispanic and 50% African-American. The Boro Pres. and Councilmember who happen to be African-American make the board appoitment. Is this a coincidence? Some African-American institutions in East Harlem continue to call East Harlem just Harlem! I find this to be very disrespectful. Lastly, they put up a statue of Duke Ellington on 5th Ave. That statue should be somewhere DEEP in Harlem. Tito Puente's statue should be there instead. Ellington's statue should be moved north. If I could move it myself I would be glad to do it. I like Duke Ellington, but I find East Harlem should be emphasizing it Latin side, not an Afro-centric side. This Afro-Latino thing has got to stop. We are good enough alone, we don't need to append our heritage with anyone elses. Why isn't it Latino-Afro?

I am not prejudice, I believe we are good enough in our own right. Because of all of the above, the museum be moved north to 125th St or above.
Old 08-08-2001, 08:44 PM

Important Meeting

I understand the skepticism about Edison, however, my understanding is that the new school will be a Charter School and not private. El Barrio has 3 or 4 of them already. (a pretty well kept secret). Boys Harbor I understand has 2 of them and they service predominantly African american students from what I've been told.

We all know the public education system has been dysfunctional for many, many years and it has failed OUR children, meaning Latinos. We, unfortunately, have the highest dropout rate in the system. I believe in giving parents choices as to what would be best for their children particulary in this district. The history of this district in the early 70's should not be forgotten. We were NUMBER ONE nationally. We were the model district. It has changed due I presume to many factors, including leadership.

I want to see it No. One again. As a life long resident of El Barrio I'm all for progress but not at the expense of my people. However, it this new school offers opportunities that cannot be had in a regular public school...then I welcome it.

As for the museum, I read somewhere that it was inclusive of the Diaspora (all cultures that have been influenced by Africa). I am very Boricua but also understand that we do have African influence in our culture. I would like the museum to clarify this...I'd like to know if it will be all African or it will include the Caribbean as well.

El Museo would have been a good choice if it was El Museo of old. It has changed quite a lot and I'm not sure anymore who they represent or what they stand for.

I will close by saying this much....It's time for El Barrio to RISE...at times I have seen an attitude of complacency or the Ay Bendito and we have allowed others to take control. There are still many Boricuas that live here and we need to come forth and say BASTA YA. We most certainly deserve respect and we have paid our dues. We were the first Latinos to come to El Barrio and have opened doors for others....my parents' generation were the pioneers...I respect and owe them for that and I refuse to let others forget the struggle and the experiences.

DESPIERTA BORICUA...DEFIENDE LO TUYO...or you'll be left out in the cold.
Old 09-10-2002, 08:56 PM

This observation concerns ONLY el Museo del Barrio: MI GENTE, where were YOU when it is time to raise money to convince the city el Museo deserves a BIGGER building? Are you at least MEMBERS of el MUseo? The founders of el Museo had shows on MEXICAN masks--so what's wrong with THAT? The next big show, I heard is TUFINO. I hope you go see it and stop whining about "south american museum".

The Museum of African Art is moving FROM SoHO to Museum Mile. They are BUILDING their own building from scratch with their own $$$$$! IN the meantime el Museo is currently housed on a multi-tenant building, where Boys Harbor holds the lease. There is not enoucg space for all the possible shows that could be presented; simply put you need $$$$. Look at Taller Boricua, the community gallery. They are showing non-latino artists from OUTSIDE el Barrio otherwise they cannot survive. But I do not see anybody complaining about them, or holding "we are watching you" stupid campaigns.

This Ay Bendito non-sense has got to stop. The statue of Duke Ellington went up because the African Americans got organized, raised $$$$ and so if you want a statue of Tito Puente anywhere roll up your sleeves and GET to work in: finding the spot, raising money, etc. Dont wait for things to happen. It is SAD that instead of doing constructive things and reaching out to other sister organizations (like el Museo) all people seem to do is COMPLIAN tear them apart and belittle the hard work that elk Museo staff does day in and day out. Ay Bendito.