Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > Institutions > Institutions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2001, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Institutions Everywhere

If you have read the announcement for this forum, you will know that East Harlem has many different types of institutions, health care, social service, settlement houses, churches, non-profits, etc... And they all serve a purpose.

What has been your experience with East Harlem Institutions. Are there too many? Too Few? Basically, what do you think?
Old 11-19-2002, 08:56 PM

Institutions

I left Harlem 20 years ago. I love hearing there are programs out there to help our youth. But, I also wonder if there are too many and what exactly are they offering. Are they making any progress keeping our young people off the streets. What are these institutions doing for our community? Now that I am much older, see life a little different and remember how it was growing up in Harlem, I wonder if things are better in Harlem or the same.

Life has changed so much. Do we have internet Cafe's? Do we have someone that is teaching our youth Modern technology? Getting them into understand the Internet, realizing there is a whole new world out there to explore would be helpful.

I remember growing up in Harlem and going to JHS45 after school. We use to have a recreational center there we would hang out and do all sorts of things. You needed to become a member to enter. They issued a membership card. They had all sorts of programs such has sewing classes, cooking, game room with a large TV and tennis table. My mom even went there at night to take up a sewing class. Is the school still open at night?