East Harlem Online Discussion Forums  

Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > Economic/Political > Community Boards
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2001, 08:08 AM

Current Board Composition Stinks!

Jose,
I see you have posted the new Community Board 11 membership list. I know you have nothing to do with board appointment, but that list SUCKS!

From what I can tell, you have 16 Hispanics and at least 23 African Americans on the board. 7 Other. For a total of 46 members.

The last census shows East Harlem's Hispanic population to be almost 61,000 (52%)and African-Americans to be close to 45,000 (38%) out of a total population of 116,000+. According to the census figures Board 11 should have at least 24 Hispanic board members and only 17 African-American members. I wonder how Borough President C. Virgina Fields and Councilman Reed can justify having such a skewed board in favor of African-Americans? Does it have anything to do with the fact that the Borough President, Councilmember and Board # 11's Chairperson are African-American?
Old 07-24-2001, 09:27 PM
Administrator

muaddib,
I read this post a few days ago and waited to see if any one else would comment on it. I guess you have no takers. First, I am always gratefull that people use this forum at all, so thanks for submitting your thoughts.

About your comments, I can't say too much publically (but a lot privately), so await my e-mail. Regardless, I am glad I am not the only one concerned about local community/political issues. I don't feel so quite alone. Will write to you and explain the why of some of this e-mail.
Old 08-02-2001, 10:30 PM

I agree with your 'private' response. I can't wait until things 'improve' for you. I can imagine that you are a tight spring, ever ready to unwind with full force. I will pray for you brother. After that, que se jodan!!