East Harlem Online Discussion Forums  

Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > Institutions > Houses of Worship
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 03:58 PM

Loved Ones Passed on

FIRST DAY. "I rejoiced because they said to me, "we will go up to the house of the Lord."
THINK: There is joy in the midst of purifying pain for the holy souls who are thus coming closer to the house of the Lord. There is joy in their assurance of salvation and of a blissfully happy eternity. Yet the time of purification remains one of expiation through suffering.
PRAY: God, creator and Redeemer of all the faithful, have mercy on the souls that yearn so ardently to enter into your joy forever. Hasten, please, the day of their deliverance, that they may reach heaven and rejoice in your presence with your angels and saints forever and ever. Amen.

SECOND DAY: "Persevere in God's love, and welcome the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ which leads to life eternal."
THINK: Christ is the one Mediator in whose infinite mercy the deceased place their hope. As His members, we have an intercessory role to fulfill. Holy souls in the process of being purified would "welcome the mercy" which we show in pleading for their admittance to God's everlasting embrace.
PRAY: Lord Christ, you are our life and resurrection our peace and reconciliation. You are the splendor of the Father and the delight of all the saints. Graciously hear us as we pray for the souls of the faithful departed. By the merits of you atoning sacrifice on Calvary, deliver them from a place of expiation, and mercifully welcome them into your kingdom of refreshment, light and peace. Amen.

THIRD DAY: "Athirst is my soul for God, the living God. When shall I go and behold the face of God?
THINK: For the psalmist, the Hebrew idiom "to behold the face of God" meant "to visit the temple." For the suffering souls being purified after death, the psalmist's words have particular poignancy. Those souls thirst after God more earnestly than they ever did here below. Their longing for Him whom they yearn to see face-to-face is their "veriest, sharpest purgatory."cn
PRAY: God, our heavenly Father, you Son Christ taught us to give food to the hungry, drink to the thirsty. Remember the souls who hunder and the for you, the living God. Shorten their period of waiting, and comfort them with the promise of soon beholding your face in the heavenlty holy of holies. This we ask in Christ's name. Amen.

FOURTH DAY: "He who feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has life eternal, and I will raise him up on the last day."
THINK: The Lord, has promised that those who partake of the eucharistic food shall come to a blessed resurrection on the last day. He has given His word, and He will keep it. Ouur God is not a maker of impossible promises. "I have promised, and I will do it, say the Lord."
PRAY: Lord Christ, our departed brothers and sisters have welcomed you again and again in the eucharistic Sacrament. They now look forward to the fullment of your great resurrection promise. Bid them rise, even now, from the lonely depths of their exile. Call them to the wedding feast of the Lamb in the heavenly heights, where, in union with them, we hope to be honored guests for all eternity. Amen.

FIFTH DAY: "He woho fears the Lord will have a happy end; even on the day of his death he will be blessed."
THINK: Fear of the Lord is neither panic nor terror. It's a holy awe or reverence which incites us to do God's will, keep His precepts, and avoid whatever would offend Him. "Happy the man who fears the Lord, who greatly delights in His commands." Such a one can face life's last houir with serenity, withe the hope of promptly entering into His heavenly inheritance.
PRAY: Merciful Father, be mindful of your sons and daughters who departed this life before having fully satisfied for their sins. Send your holy angels to console them during their painful interval of waiting. In the name of Christ, your Son and our Savior, we pray that they may soon enjoy the beauty of your face in the sancturay of heaven. Amen.

SIXTH DAY: "Blest are they who show mercy, mercy shall be theirs."
THINK: The suffering souls whom we befriend will never be surpassed in generosity. When our turn comes to face God in judgment, they will gather around His throne to plead our cause. The beatitude falln from the master's lips will be realized in our behalf. They mercy we showed to the suffering souls by praying for them will in turn be lavished upon us in our hour of greatest need.
PRAY: Father of mercies, God of all comfort, hear our prayers for the souls of the faithful departed. Console them in their sorrowful exile from the kingdom prepared for them from the creation of the world. We make our prayer of them through Christ, your Son, who loved them and delivered Himself up for all of us. Amen.

SEVENTH DAY: "it is I, I, who wipe out, for My own sake, your offenses; your sins I remember no more.
THINK: It is a familiar and encouraging thought that the Lord's mercy is above all His works. In theory I believe in Divine Mercy. But in practice, after having the misfortune to commit sin, do I behave like a Christian who tryly believes that the Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in kindness and love?
PRAY: Lord, our God, manifest your great mercy and deal in your divinely compassionate way with the souls of the faithful deceased. May the precious blood of Christ, your Son and our Redeemer, flow upon them as a purifying stream. May it prepare them to enter into the paradise they await from your infinite love. This we ask in Christ's blessed name. Amen

EIGHTH DAY: "All of us gazing on the Lord's glory with unveiled faces, are being transfored from glory to glory into His very image by the Lord who is the Spirit."
THINK: The souls detained in purgatory would gladly accept greating pain if they could shorten thereby their time of expiation. Such is their burning desire to see the Lord's glory with unveiled faces! Only the grace of God makes bearable the tremendous tug which heaven exerts on them. We shows our love for them by our holy Masses, prayers, and other good works offered to God for their benefit.
PRAY: Most gracious Lord, our Father, be mmoved to pity for your sons and daughters whom we commend to your mercy. Cleanse them from all remnants of sin. By the merits of Christ, our Redeemer, make you face shine on them in the eternal radiance of heaven. Amen.

NINTH DAY: "For if we believe that Christ died and rose, God will bring forth with Him from the dead those also who have fallen asleep believing in Him.
THINK: When our cherished relatives and friends leave this world, we mourn not like those who are Christless and hopeless. Because we believe in the death-resurrection mystery, Christ's return from the realms of death fills us with hope that will not be disappointed. Our dear one's, who have fallen asleep believing in Him whi is the Resurrection and the Life, will know the surpassing bliss of resurrection and new life on the last day.
PRAY: By Your resurrection for the dead, Lord Christ, you have triumphed over the powers of darkness and death. In you kindness show pity to the souls of your departed servants and open to them the doors of heaven so they will sing Your mercies for endless ages. Amen.

Hail Mary, white lily of the Glorious and always serene trinity
Hail brilliant Rose of the Garden of heavenly delights
O you, by whom God wanted to be born and by whose milk the King of heaven wanted to be nourished. Nourish our souls with effusions of divine grace. Amen.
At the hour when the soul which has thus greeted me
quits the body I'll appear to them in such splendid Beauty, that they'll
taste to their great consolation, something of the Joys of Paradise
Hail Mary of Gold, ppb

Last edited by Gladys : 01-22-2015 at 11:12 AM.