East Harlem Online Discussion Forums  

Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > Culture > Arts/Culture
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 09:15 AM

Black Cherokee

Does anyone know anything about Black Cherokee/Otis Houston? He can often be seen by FDR Drive early in the morning doing performance art.

I don't know why he hasn't gotten more attention in the media.

I've looked around the net over the years and have found people wondering who is and why he does what he does.

I was able to find this page recently: http://thewinger.com/2007/black-cherokee/

I remember reading a story a couple of years back online about how his family had died and he had lost his mind.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:34 AM

Yes

I Have Seen His Works. Maybe If You Can Speak To Him About Contacting An Arts Activist That Can Have His Work Seen In Other Venues....try To See If You Can Get Him To Call El Taller And Ask For Taina.

Lsra
Old 05-20-2009, 10:13 AM

arts festival

the famous august arts festival has become a capitalistic venture. in these hard times a community board that gets free access to park and streets will charge 20.00 per space. this was a free event enpowering many artist who could not afford a fee exchanging and contributing their art, time and effort in making the arts and cultural festival a success. the artist' prices were lowered due to the no cost for space, and community shoppers benefitted. a feeling that the festival was within the poorest person economic range made for a wonderful spirited wholesome event. this was truly a grassroots community empowerment event without the money grab... .....where will an artist like black cherokee get 20.00 to exhibit?

lsra