East Harlem Online Discussion Forums  

Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > Institutions > Schools - Public
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2001, 03:42 PM

Wink Public Schools

My Junior High School years brings me many good memories. I attended PS80 and JHS 45 . When I graduated in 1965 I lost contact with all my friends. I attended Dodge Voc. HS and years later moved to Florida.

I would love to hear from my old friends from Wagner Projects, Nelson, Yvonne Plaza and Jack(who had a cus they called blue lips) I think he was Polish, Freddy who was half jamaica and half PR. We attend Coffee House at Elmedorf Protestant Church. Does anyone remember Rudy (born with polio) from 10 Paladino Ave? His father was Greek and his mom was PR. He lives in Surgis Michigan now. Not to computer lit. When I told him about this website he said to send his regards to everyone from Wagner.

I will always remember teachers like Mr. Walfish. He was a great teacher. what ever happen to Mr. Cregg, and Mr. Orna. If anyone has any info on the teachers of JHS45 please let me know.

mvalle621@aol.com

Last edited by marthadel : 12-03-2006 at 08:34 PM. Reason: updating my message
Old 05-23-2001, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Hi Martha!!

Congrats on making it here first. Hey, its was
your idea. Thanks for your contribution.

Why do I get the feeling that you public school kids had more fun than Catholic school kids. We couldn't pull any stunts on our teachers.

I bet you guys had better food too. What did you
get to eat in Public School?

By the way I graduated from grammar school about 6 years after you did, but since I was born in December and got left back in first grade, I am probably about your age. I was 15 when I left the 8th grade and turned 16 in 9th grade. Being born in December I missed the school deadline for entrance into first grade with most of my peers.

Oh, you must remember to call Wagner Projects --
Wagner Estates (my joke).
Old 05-23-2001, 06:28 PM

Hi Jose

I remember very well what lunch was like in PS80. It was horrible. I hated pea soup. Once I poured the pea soup into the milk container. They were always trying to make us eat all our lunch. I remember having to get on a line to throw away our lunch. The cafeteria workers would check our trays. If you didn't finish your lunch they would send you back to finish it. I was known for never finishing my lunch and guess what happened? I guess I finished my lunch too soon and when I got on line to throw away my lunch tray, they stopped me and found the container with the pea soup in it so they gave me another bowl of soup. Lunch was the worst in elementary school.

During my junior high school days, guess who was waiting for me at lunch time? My mom. I wasn't allowed to have lunch in school even though lunch was free in those days. Since I lived just 2 blocks from the school and she wanted to keep an eye on me I had to go home for lunch.
Old 02-15-2004, 06:42 AM

Question John S Roberts 45

Hi, My name is Pat...My Uncle was a teacher at John S Roberts 45 in the 60's....He recently passed away. His name is Frederick M Siffert. I noticed that you said you went to John S Roberts 45 in the early 1960's. Do you remember a Mr. Siffert? He started out as a substitute teacher/Social Studies. He had a low voice that would pull you in. He was a kind and gentle man. His appearance...well....He always looked like he had a "5 o'clock shaddow"... even right after he got done shaving. And he had very little hair. If you, or anyone you know, remember him...I would love to hear some of your/their memories.
He taught at JS Roberts JHS 45 on through the 70's and possibly into the 1980's.
He would come back to Ohio in the summer and at Christmas break. He had a passion for teaching and NYC. I wish I would have ask him more.
I have emailed the library, hoping that they have old yearbooks. I will let you know if they reply.
Sincerely, Pat from Ohio
Old 12-31-2004, 07:45 PM

Jhs45

Hi Guys:

I also attended JHS 45. I went about 25 years ago. I am 38 years old now. I remember being in 8-1 and 9-1 classes. I had a great time there even though I was extremely shy and skinny. I had no real friends but it was a great time there. My best friends were two Rosa's. One was a twin with Anna and then the other one had a child during her time there. It was so surreal to me one of my friends having a baby during jr high school. I am having a tough time remembering my teachers names but I do remember Mr. Ramos and Mr. Siffert and also the gym teacher who was butch. It was my first experience knowing a gay woman. But she was a nice person. Cant remember her name though. If you find out anything about how to get past yearbooks please let me know. I would really appreciate it. Oh Yeah my 8-1 teacher was Mr. Shugrue. Remember him?
Old 01-01-2005, 11:09 AM

first post ever on this site

hello everyone. i am so glad that i came across this site because it brings me so close to a place that will always have a special space in my heart no matter where i am. i went to ps 80 also and i also hated the butter and jelly sandwhiches and the pea soup bean soups and the only thing i would eat was the fruit and the little ice cream in the wrapped paper squares. we would have food fights and there were a group of "monitors" that would watch for the people that would start the fights they were called AAA monitors or something like that. they wore a white belt with a monitor badge. we use to slide down the stairs by sitting on the banisters and putting our hand inside the upper edge of the ceiling. i remember ms mathews, mr lomax, mr mitchell, i was always in trouble and in assembly he would snap his fingers and a say ok you come here get closer closer since he was very tall compared to us at that time he would say where did he go while we were standing right next him. i also went to 45. the cafeteria was run by who we called the italian general ms. lu. she was tough. i later went to franklin and dropped out. got my ged 6 months ahead of my graduating class and ultimately went to law school graduated and moved from el barrio. i treasure my youth and have been asked would i change anything given the chance to do so and i always say NO. although it was hard on me and my family we made it out and individually succeeded in our own ways. do any of you guys remember the first black out? i was at home watching dark shadows. when the lights went out. boy i can go on for ever about my barrio. thanks again for this forum i'll be around.