East Harlem Online Discussion Forums  

Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2007, 09:15 AM

Thumbs up Old School Memories

This site brings back memories growing up in New Jersey, I use to visit cousins in New York and party there on weekends during the 70's.
I especially remember seeing the Fania AllStars, Hector Lavoe, Willie Colon, Ray Barreto and even Tito Rodriguez, not to mention the Puerto Rican Day Parade. Since living in Florida, I enjoy visiting your website and all the info it brings on our culture...
Old 07-14-2007, 02:12 PM

Old School Memories

I visited East Harlem on July 2, 2007. I visited PS80 and JHS45. It was great walking through the old neighborhood but sad to see PS80 turned into a social service center. I took pictures of the entrace which had graffiti all over the walls. I walked up the stairs and entered inside. I was amazed that the stairs and wooden rails looked new. I tried to take pictures but it was too dark and at the top of the stairs there was an iron gate closing off the area. I went went around to the other side of the building which is guarded by a security guard. The auditorium is still there and is used for those taking
music and dance classes. I wanted to see the auditorium but they said it was against the law to take photos in a school???

I visited JHS45 which also had a security guard sitting at desk. I was not allowed to enter or take pictures.

This is what terrorism has done to our system. We can't enjoy taking a stroll down the halls of the places we loved the most.

Thank you Jose for this website. Seems this is all we have left of our childhood memories.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:55 AM

Hey, can you post those photos of P.S. 80?

ric