East Harlem Online Discussion Forums  

Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2006, 01:50 PM

Milton Berle, Bobby Darin, John Gotti?

Milton Berle grew up in East Harlem. So did Bobby Darin, and I believe I read somewhere that John Gotti's family spent a few years there before moving up to the Bronx (and then Brooklyn).

There was also a Yeshiva located somewhere in Harlem that graduated tons of engineers and architects.

And why hasn't anybody mentioned the Luchesse crime family from 115 street and Fat Tony Salano the capo's store-front "social club."?

ric
Old 07-26-2006, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Fat Tony Salano the capo's store-front "social club."?

Was that on 118 street & 2nd?
Old 08-30-2006, 06:02 PM

Italians in Harlem

I remember Fat's pet shop on 119th st and 2nd Ave. The social club on 118 St, the Italian's always hanging out on the corners. They all moved out of the neighborhood when crime rates went up. I think they all moved to Long Island
Old 12-10-2006, 12:33 PM

Was that the same "Fat"? Or two different people?
Old 04-02-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marthadel
I remember Fat's pet shop on 119th st and 2nd Ave. The social club on 118 St, the Italian's always hanging out on the corners. They all moved out of the neighborhood when crime rates went up. I think they all moved to Long Island

Remember P.S 80, or are you too young for that?

Speaking of P.S. 80, anybody famous go there?

I'm old enough to remember the sweat shops with the Italian ladies dressed in black sitting inside making those paper flowers all day long.

I lived on 120th between Second and Third Aves.

Hell, I'm old enough to remember when they were tearing down the Third Avenue El.

In fact, right between 2nd and 3rd on 120 was a high school they tore down that looked just like the high school from Blackboard Jungle. Anyone know which one it was?

I'm old enough to remember the Cosmo Theatre when it cost 25 cents to see a movie there.
ric
Old 04-15-2007, 08:18 PM

Hi Ricland

Gues you must be near my age. I arrived in NY in 1947 and my first school was PS 80. My first teacher ther was Bernice Barnhardt. I'll never forget her.
My sister went to Julia Richmond HS which is the school you were asking about. I also saw the Third Ave. El. go down and saw many a movie at the Cosmo on 116 st, the Palace on 124 st sec. ave. and the RKO 125 st.
Most of my friends at the time were Italians: Angelo Todisco, Vinny D'Aquino and his cousin Matty, Anthony Livolsi, Frankie AKA Bevo, Johnny 120 st.
But as everybody knows, they all eventually moved out. After four yrs. in the AF I returned to PR. and never saw those friends again. I did hang out with some very good PR friends at 121 st. bet. sec. and Third before moving back to PR in 1962. It sure would be nice to hear from those old friends again.
Good Luck to You.............Domingo Delgado
Old 04-20-2007, 08:46 AM

Barnhardt?

Was she the teacher that used to force the students to kiss her -- on the lips! -- before giving them their report cards on the last day of school?

The teacher I'm talking about was so ugly the students would be in back of the room wailing they weren't going to do it, and those that did rushed to the bathroom to wash off their lips.

I knew a John Gottafella(sp) on 120th. Had a brother named Bobby who tried out for the Yankees, but didn't make the cut.

And so the name of the school was Julia Richmond, HS. Thanks. Funny location for a school stuck right their in tenement buildings like that.

Been there lately? That moving company owns almost all of 119th street now.

Hey, remember that Greek barber with the knot on his head? I went back there in the late 70s, he was still there. As a kid I had always thought of him as a big man, but he was a little, shriveled up guy by then. So he's in there with his wife, and they want to know who I am, and I look at him and say, Hey, what happened to that knot on your head? He and his wife start smiling. She says, "Oh, you remember? He cut it off 25 years ago."

ricky kramer
Old 04-20-2007, 07:26 PM

Hi Ricland:
Miss Barnhardt was not an ugly teacher and I don't think she was around after 1954....Now, my friend Albie and his wife Sadie who owned an Italian Grocery Store on the ground floor of 302 119 st. near the corner of second ave. were...I'll bet you Knew them....
Old 05-29-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doMingo119st
Hi Ricland:
Miss Barnhardt was not an ugly teacher and I don't think she was around after 1954....Now, my friend Albie and his wife Sadie who owned an Italian Grocery Store on the ground floor of 302 119 st. near the corner of second ave. were...I'll bet you Knew them....

Don't remember a grocery store there. Remember a bakery and candy store on Second between 120 and 119th. Back in my day, 119th was where the Puerto Ricans lived and 120th was mostly all Italian.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:38 PM

Candy Store on 2nd. ave.

That candy store on sec. ave. belonged to a guy named Phil and his wife Marie. Next to them was a TV repair shop followed by a photo studio.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Ladies, Gentlemen,
Please remember, when referring to our community, we are EAST HARLEM, not HARLEM. Those are another people and culture. You are misidentifying us if you say Harlem when you mean East Harlem.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:16 AM

What?

You Always Seem To Surprise Me. In This Time And Age That You Continue To Play The Game Of Dividing Our People In The Midths Of All That Is Happening To Us In All Neighborhoods Of Color And Specifically To The Poor In The Past And Present.

Harlem Is Harlem We Are The Same People That Landed On Different Islands Of The Carribean And Atlantic Ocean. All Of Us Adopted The Language Of The Oppressor, Spanish, English, French. All Of Us Were Enslaved. In The Case Of The So Called Puerto Rican The Spanish Sailors Were Rejects And Decendents Of The Moors. So The So Called Spanish Conquistadors Had African Blood In Their Veins As Pure As Those They Enslaved.

A Man Of Your Level Of Education Should Avoid The Lynch Style Of Dividing Us. Remember You Are A Light Skinned Spanish Speaking African Man Of The Puerto Rican Culture. They Still See You That Way No Matter How Much You Hide Or Deny It. Identifying With Them By Dividing Us Does Not Make You Them, Makes You A Tio Tomas.

Lsra
Old 03-16-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSRA
You Always Seem To Surprise Me. In This Time And Age That You Continue To Play The Game Of Dividing Our People In The Midths Of All That Is Happening To Us In All Neighborhoods Of Color And Specifically To The Poor In The Past And Present.

Harlem Is Harlem We Are The Same People That Landed On Different Islands Of The Carribean And Atlantic Ocean. All Of Us Adopted The Language Of The Oppressor, Spanish, English, French. All Of Us Were Enslaved. In The Case Of The So Called Puerto Rican The Spanish Sailors Were Rejects And Decendents Of The Moors. So The So Called Spanish Conquistadors Had African Blood In Their Veins As Pure As Those They Enslaved.

A Man Of Your Level Of Education Should Avoid The Lynch Style Of Dividing Us. Remember You Are A Light Skinned Spanish Speaking African Man Of The Puerto Rican Culture. They Still See You That Way No Matter How Much You Hide Or Deny It. Identifying With Them By Dividing Us Does Not Make You Them, Makes You A Tio Tomas.

Lsra

Huh...?

I disagree.

Like the man says, "Harlem" connotes an entirely different culture and whatever his motivation, he is entirely correct when he alerts us to make the distinction.

I'm black and was raised in East Harlem then years later lived in West Harlem. The two are absolutely different -- night and day -- so why shouldn't this be pointed out?

Honestly, this is not a political issue, this is a matter of getting the name correct.

There's "Harlem" and there's "East Harlem" (or "Spanish Harlem,") and, yes, please, get the names correct.

ricland
Old 03-17-2008, 09:38 AM

yes it is a political issue and is one that has caused us dearly in the past and possibly in the future. being black has nothing to do with it, black consciousness has all to do with all. sure we have differences but our similarities outweight the differences...i respond to jose as i have always due to his conservatism and lack of identification with his blackness and his blaming the victim for being victimized...this was my respond to him and now you. thanks for the feedback

lotherapez