East Harlem Online Discussion Forums  

Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2005, 09:42 PM

Life in Spanish Harlem opinions

Hello Everybody,

I'm collecting opinions from residents in different neighborhoods in NYC. I would like for anybody from east harlem to give their true opinion on how many issues are being resolved and treated in Spanish harlem. Do you think housing has gotten better or worst? Has crime gone down? Forget the reports we read in news papers trying to make Mike Bloomberg look good. What do you really think of the changes in Spanish Harlem. Do you think that it has been getting better, worst or no change in the last couple of years? Any comment on any topic related to living in Spanish harlem is appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-12-2005, 12:30 PM

Lightbulb Harlem Changes

Let Me Say Simply That A Recruiting Station In East Harlem Is The First Step In Trying To Bring Back The Draft And Killing Another 60,000 Good Men.... The Logic Used Is That If You Join You Can Choose A Branch Of The Military That May Not See Ground Action....maybe The Navy. If You Get Drafted Its Face To Face Combat....

The Community Has A Choice, I Support Any Family That Feels They Are Ready To Fight For This Country. I Applaud Your Efforts However That Does Not Make You Any Better Than Anybody Or Any Family That Feels As I Do. I Was A C. O. For The Viet Nam War And If The Draft Is Instituted I Will Help Any Young Man Or Female Do The Same.

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised And There Will Be No Running To Canada This Time. Many More ARE FeelING Like Me Everyday WITH The President LoSING Percentage PointS Of Popularity.

Changes In Our Community Are Never Welcomed When Targeting The Poor Becomes The Means To Gentrify. We Can All Live Rich And Poor Especially The Poor That Were Here First.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:51 AM
Administrator

I believe that life is getting a little better, mainly as crime is concerned. There has been a drop in the crime rate over what use to be crazy days of crack. I believe that youth have been influenced by the mass media who bottom line is the bottom line and not how what they present affects youth's behavior.

An Army recruiting career center is not a bad thing. Sure it is nostalgic to be anti-military but it is nonsense to think of not having a military. You can't have an American lifestyle, enjoy its rights and then bitch about the military. It's the very military which ensures that your rights are protected. You can't have it both ways. It's like saying you love the food in a restaurant but refuse to pay.

As a former military (U.S. Navy) person I can tell you that the best defense is a strong offense. And for those who don't like the military, why not get rid of the local police while you are at it? Is is not the same thing?

The military gave me the opportunity to be employed and trained at a time in the late 70s. I have previously done some "community activism" for several years for local politicians and had nothing to show for it. After going to several of them for an entry level job and after finding that they had nothing to offer but more free work for them, I joined the Navy.

I came back after a decade, and continued doing community activism, but as a part time thing. Always remembering that one must feed one's family first and do community activism after that was taken care of.

You know I would not mind local activist screaming and yelling about the Army Career Center so much if I did not know that most don't ever create anything. They protest (which is sometimes necessary), and try to keep things from happening, but rarely do they create anything.

Reminds me of the National Organization for Women during the Clinton Lewinsky scandal. Instead of being up in arms because Pres. had abused his authority as a supervisor over an intern, they remained quite. Not what they did with Sen. Packwood. I agree that what Sen. Packwood did was wrong and that he was rightfully removed from office, but so should have Pres. Clinton. This episode taught me a valuable lesson. That politics is not about morality. N.O.W. lost all credibility with me. As have most knee-jerk liberals whose stance on an issue depends on who is involved.

East Harlem activist need to start creating change and not just stopping it from happening. What ever happened to the Ralph Flores' of the community?
Old 11-14-2005, 04:43 PM

Fine

APPARENTLY CONSERVATIVES HAVE A PROBLEM RESPECTING CHOICE. AGAIN I APPLAUD ANY ONE WHO FEELS THEY WANT TO SERVE AS WELL AS THEIR FAMILIES. HOWEVER THOSE THAT SERVE AND THEIR FAMILIES ARE NO BETTER AMERICANS THAN THOSE THAT CHOOSE NOT TO SERVE. THIS COUNTRY HAS LOST EVERY WAR SINCE THE SECOND WORLD WAR 2-- I THINK..THE CONSERVATISM THAT HAS ELIMINATED CHOICE AND RESPECT FOR DIFFERENCES MAKES ME FEEL THAT WE ALSO LOST WW-2. FACISM IS ALIVE AND WELL.

AS FOR A RECRUITING STATION IN EAST HARLEM IT IS THE FIRST STEP IN INSTITUTING THE DRAFT AND HAVE OUR YOUNG VOLUNTEER FOR BRANCHES THAT THEY FEEL WILL MINIMIZE FACE TO FACE COMBAT....THIS COUNTRY LIKE THE ROMAN EMPIRE BEFORE IT AND OTHER GREAT EMPIRES WILL EITHER CHANGE IT PHILOSOPHY REGARDING THE BEST DEFENSE IS A BETTER OFFENSE BEFORE WE LOSE ANOTHER WAR.

PROGRESSIVE THINKING AT THE EXPENSE OF THE POOR LESS EDUCATED IS NOT PROGRESSIVE ITS REGRESSIVE. GENTRIFICATION COMES IN MANY FORMS AND WHENEVER IT RAISES IT SIMPLE MIND I JUST FEED IT BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY IT IS MYOPIC AND LACKS NUTRIENTS.

SOONER THAN YOU THINK (IF THING DON"T CHANGE) WE WILL ALL BE ON THE SAME PAGE OF ONE MIND. IF WE ALLOW FOR THIS ON GOING GENTRIFICATION OF ANY FORM WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO LIVE IN HARLEM AND THEN WHAT? WHETHER YOU WHERE IN THE SERVICE WHETHER YOU WERE NOT IN THE SERVICE, WHETHER YOUR LIBERAL OR CONSERVATIVE DOESN"T MATTER. GREEN WILL REIGN SUPREME THEN WHAT WILL YOU SAY TO THE MATTER OF CHOICE? OUR FAMILIES WILL BE PRICED OUT...
Old 11-14-2005, 04:54 PM

Fine

APPARENTLY CONSERVATIVES HAVE A PROBLEM RESPECTING CHOICE. AGAIN I APPLAUD ANY ONE WHO FEELS THEY WANT TO SERVE AS WELL AS THEIR FAMILIES. HOWEVER THOSE THAT SERVE AND THEIR FAMILIES ARE NO BETTER AMERICANS THAN THOSE THAT CHOOSE NOT TO SERVE. THIS COUNTRY HAS LOST EVERY WAR SINCE THE SECOND WORLD WAR 2-- I THINK..THE CONSERVATISM THAT HAS ELIMINATED CHOICE AND RESPECT FOR DIFFERENCES MAKES ME FEEL THAT WE ALSO LOST WW-2. FACISM IS ALIVE AND WELL.

AS FOR A RECRUITING STATION IN EAST HARLEM IT IS THE FIRST STEP IN INSTITUTING THE DRAFT AND HAVE OUR YOUNG VOLUNTEER FOR BRANCHES THAT THEY FEEL WILL MINIMIZE FACE TO FACE COMBAT....THIS COUNTRY LIKE THE ROMAN EMPIRE BEFORE IT AND OTHER GREAT EMPIRES WILL EITHER CHANGE IT PHILOSOPHY REGARDING THE BEST DEFENSE IS A BETTER OFFENSE BEFORE WE LOSE ANOTHER WAR.

MR FLORES DIED AND HE WAS TRULY A SON OF EAST HARLEM AND IF HE WERE ALIVE HE WOULD BE DOING THE THINGS THAT NEED TO BE DONE...FEEDING THE HUNGRY...STOPPING GENTRIFICATION AND THE OUTCOMES OF FAMILY DETERIORATION IT PRODUCES...GIVING YOUNG PEOPLE CHOICES MAYBE MILITARY MAYBE NOT BUT NOT IN THIS COMMUNITY...BUILDING RESIDENCES FOR POOR...GETTING IN THE FACES OF THOSE THAT PROFESS TO BE FOR THE PEOPLE AND ACTUALLY ARE NOT...RALPH WAS FROM MY GENERATION AND WHEN HE LOST HIS 24 HOUR CRISIS CENTER IT WASN'T EASY FOR HIM....BEFORE HE DECIDED TO FURTHER AND COMPLETE HIS EDUCATION HE CAME TO EL BARRIO MARTIAL ARTS I WAS CHAIRPERSON OF THE BOARD AND WE WERE DESIGNING THE FIRST BEACON SCHOOL IN EAST HARLEM IN PS 72. MR FLORES WAS INTERESTED IN BRINGING HIS ENERGY INTO THE SCHOOL AND WE WOULD PROVIDE SPACE...

PROGRESSIVE THINKING AT THE EXPENSE OF THE POOR LESS EDUCATED IS NOT PROGRESSIVE ITS REGRESSIVE. GENTRIFICATION COMES IN MANY FORMS AND WHENEVER IT RAISES IT SIMPLE MIND I JUST FEED IT BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY IT IS MYOPIC AND LACKS NUTRIENTS.

SOONER THAN YOU THINK (IF THING DON"T CHANGE) WE WILL ALL BE ON THE SAME PAGE OF ONE MIND. IF WE ALLOW FOR THIS ON GOING GENTRIFICATION OF ANY FORM WE WILL NOT BE ABLE TO LIVE IN HARLEM AND THEN WHAT? WHETHER YOU WHERE IN THE SERVICE WHETHER YOU WERE NOT IN THE SERVICE, WHETHER YOUR LIBERAL OR CONSERVATIVE DOESN"T MATTER. GREEN WILL REIGN SUPREME THEN WHAT WILL YOU SAY TO THE MATTER OF CHOICE? OUR FAMILIES WILL BE PRICED OUT...
Old 12-14-2005, 05:38 AM
Administrator

I have always wanted to ask what the thinking "progressively" means?

What being Progressive means to me: It means having no boundaries and always pushing any limits for the sake of pushing limits. Mostly what it means not having anything from which to judge anything since all is acceptable. All is ok. Don't offend anyone (except of course people of faith).

What do people use from which to judge what is acceptable in terms of "progressiveness" and what is not? Most progressives have no such measuring guide or tool.

Choice is not the panacea that liberals make it out to be. Should we allow grown men to "molest" boys as some want? Of course not, but isn't that choice? Ultimately God does not tolerate all.

Lastly, if one is to live in this country, one should assist in defending it. You can't live here and then bitch about the military being "bad" or "evil". The military is here to defend. If we do not partake in defending this country how then can we demand "rights" from it? Too many people have been brought up thinking of obtaining things (like their rights) for free without contributing anything.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:40 AM

Thumbs up no problema

you are absolutely correct however most progressive have a more internal conscious of what is right and wrong versus a super-imposed superego that is not only external but punitive to thinking outside the norm of being openminded. I am against men raping boys unlike the priest who impose superego laws of correctiveness but do not internalize what is right or wrong, the perfect example of the basic difference between conservative and progressive. I think its wrong and would tell someone who is doing it that they prepared to pay because what goes around comes around. a Conservative on the other hand if he is not actually raping the boy he want to put the child molestor in jail without a trial. you see its easy to make stereotypical assumptions of what a conservative and a progressive think and feel...thats ok i enjoy the choice to respond to you. It is the choice of response that raises consciousness opening minds making for a free country that i defend, without a gun only with my mind and spirit. thank GOD i remain a C.O. and will help any youngster in the event of a draft. HAPPY HOLIDAYS
Old 06-04-2006, 01:53 PM

What does any of this politcal talk have to do with "Life in Spanish Harlem"?

ric