East Harlem Online Discussion Forums  

Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 06-29-2004, 03:55 PM

Puerto Rican flag

I read with interest Evette Zayas's and Yelimar Quinone's article about the Puerto Rican flag. I think it would be nice to include some reference to New York City being the site of the flag's creation (chosen in exile by the Puerto Rican section of the Cuban Revolutionary Party in New York City?). I also looked for information on the location of Chimney Hall. Is that information available? Thanks.
Old 07-01-2004, 12:49 AM
Administrator

I must confess that I have been so busy that I have not had the time to read it. A must do this coming weekend. Thanks Kathy.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:43 AM

Pr Flag

JOSE IF YOU FIND THE INFORMATION BEING SOUGHT BY THE NEW YORK CITY MUSEUM THINK ABOUT GIVING IT TO EL MUSEO DEL BARRIO THEY ARE THE ONES THAT NEED TO MAKE THAT BUILDING A LANDMARK. A HINT SCHOMBERG WAS AT THE MEETING APPROVING THE FLAG AND MAYBE I WILL GIVE THE DATA TO THE SCHOMBERG IT SHOULD BE EITHER 0NE OF THESE INSTITUTIONS NOT THE CITY MUSEUM...
Old 09-09-2004, 02:25 PM

PR Flag

I was seeking the information for my own interest, not on behalf of the Museum. But since the subject of who should have it has come up, I am wondering why this information shouldn't be made generally available to anyone who is interested.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:40 AM

Schomberg

It Should Be Public Knowledge For Everyone..however Due To The Blood Running In My Veins, I Think It Should Be Introduced To The Community By A Museum That Best Represent His Cultural And Racial Heritage. There Is Nothing Wrong With This Or Is There?
Old 09-15-2004, 05:10 PM

Post Let's stop pulling at the Puerto Rican Flag

Everything we do everyday should be shared knowledge and the more places that wants to have and share our information to the public in regards to our Puerto Rican flag is a plus to us! I agree we must include information on chimney hall but until that time, we should start educating our young on the basics of our flag. We need to start with not super imposing images on our flag and not supporting any stores in this community that sell such flags, including towels, clothing like sneakers and any items that are thrown away after use. We should go into our neighborhood schools and volunteer time for those who have a solid knowledge on this subject and start spreading the news that we have a solid history. We are taught and know more about the United States and black history than our own. In addition, we should start at home and work our way to the outside. We need to ban together and stop pulling different directions. We know who our leaders and the key players are and we should demand that they stop with the back room meetings and come together for the good of our community while there is still time (meaning that we are still here in East Harlem). We are still the majority here let us keep it that way so that we can be a powerful people. Our flag is our symbol not for any one organization to have but to be shared and appreciated by everyone interested in knowing about us.

Last edited by Student : 09-15-2004 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Speaking of flags, I believe it would be nice if each New York City community had it's own flag and a 'town hall' mayor (electable of course). Each community flag would be representative of its community. For instance our East Harlem flag could be red, white, blue, green and black. And it could change every 20 years to reflect changes in the population.
Old 09-20-2004, 05:11 PM

interesting concept

It's a interesting concept but if we can't get our community to respect our own Puerto Rican flag or the American Flag what makes us think they'll resect a bi cultural flag. I think we should focus our efforts on respecting our flag then maybe move on to introducing this other concept.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:08 PM

Angry

I agree with you on keeping our flag FIRST, afterward we may concider others flags. We must be second to none, Just like the black man who raises his clinched fist and praises his colors first. Why not us? If we had true respected, honored leaders,we could have multy million man march. WE are falling once again behind "Wake up BROTHERS " Everyday that a South American steps on this land He makes an effort to do and make something of himself. Puerto Ricans continue to lag behind. WHY? As first latinos to enter New York we have not done very much, other than fight and open doors for others latinos. while we take the blame for murder, rap ,crime etc.... Everyone else is making a name for their ethnic group I am very sad Please Help My PEOPLE DO somthing
Old 01-13-2006, 06:23 PM

unfortunetly, our people stop fighting when they qualified for welfare and food stamp not to metion s.s.d. i am sorry to say this but it is true. we need to stand on our two feet and march forward with our struggle. i don't know if a time came when our back bone was taken out but we should all stand in line for a back bone operation to put it back in.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:54 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student
....We are taught and know more about the United States and black history than our own. ......

Very nice speech. It's nice to read that a few young folks still like history. I lost hope in this generation. (Assuming that they're too busy making a life for themselves just like me).

A flag is a flag. Just symbolic. Let it go LSRA. Go to Puerto Rico and see how much PR's really care. I for one think it's a beatiful thing that Kathleen is even interested in our culture. Just being of Puerto Rican heritage is way cool. But now more then often I find myself just wanting to cash in on being PR like so many others.

It's the American thing to do. Ship our flags out from China and sell them during the parade for $2.00. Once I have money peaple will listen to my politics no matter how stupid or ignorant I am.

Who cares...that they don't teach us about our history in public school. Who's fault is that anyway? Does it really matter? Try conversing with others about this subject during a personal social event.

Think anyone's really paying attention? Or are they really more interested in how cold are the beers and how good the 'arroz con gandules' y pernil is?

Last edited by Freddie Diaz : 02-18-2006 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:38 PM

As an educator, I believe our children should be taught about their heritage. I was raised in Spanish Harlem (Lexington Ave.), and my parents were the ones who taught me about being Boricua. My husband and I have taught our children as well as taken them to Puerto Rico to keep in touch with their culture and la familia.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:38 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by novelawa
As an educator, I believe our children should be taught about their heritage. I was raised in Spanish Harlem (Lexington Ave.), and my parents were the ones who taught me about being Boricua. My husband and I have taught our children as well as taken them to Puerto Rico to keep in touch with their culture and la familia.

Just like religion....let the parents take charge and forget local government and its politics. Public education is dominated by local politics and taught in general.

If we followed this simple formula than we would influence local government more efficiently.