Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > Economic/Political > Politics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2003, 03:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to Infoscout
Cb 11

Here is a potentially troubling question, We tried to discuss uit at work but came up with no solid result we were comfortable with.
Here goes...
Its seems to me and I maybe mistaken..but...
CB 11 has a predominantly African american leadership(with what I perceive as little contection to the E-Harlem African american Community). While the Latino board members are more connected to the community but not in a position to affect too much on their own. Also seems to me that CB 11 is a little fawning of CB 10. Like I said its just a casual observation.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:01 PM

Repost of Siempre Letter to the Editor on CB 11 Appointments

David Cutié’s Non-Reappointment to Community Board 11: An Unacceptable Political Game (Siempre, April 22, 2004)

To the Editor:

Community Boards are local representative bodies that have an important advisory role with regards to land use and zoning matters, the City budget, municipal service delivery and matters relating to their communities’ welfare. There are 59 boards throughout New York City each consisting of up to 50 unsalaried members appointed by the Borough President, with half nominated by the corresponding City Council Member. Board members must reside, work or have some other significant interest in the community.

Unfortunately, the process of appointing board members has become cumbersome in that council members and borough presidents utilize their appointments to either reward or punish current or potential community board members. In the end, if communities aren’t vigilant, their respective boards can become a shell game with members being removed or replaced at will with little regard given to consistency or quality of work.

David Cutié’s appointment to Community Board 11 (CB11), the board that corresponds to El Barrio/East Harlem, came after community pressure from El Barrio residents. Individuals and local organizations, like Women of El Barrio, held Council Member Phil Reed and Manhattan Borough President C. Virginia Fields accountable to the lack of proportionate Puerto Rican/Latino representation on CB11 and presented them both with applications of qualified Puerto Rican/Latino candidates. Unfortunately, despite our ongoing pressure this under representation continues to exist.

Mr. Cutié is an exemplary member not only of Community Board 11, but of East Harlem. City Council Member Phil Reed’s recent efforts, though, to remove El Barrio resident David Cutié from Community Board 11 (CB11) is an attempt, to put it simply and bluntly, at petty payback for a decision Mr. Cutié made a decision the city council member found highly offensive. What exactly was that egregious decision made by Mr. Cutié? Well, in last year’s city council race for District 8 Mr. Cutié decided NOT to support the incumbent Mr. Reed and instead chose to support an opponent.

So, how exactly do Mr. Reed an Manhattan Borough President C. Virigina Fields justify not reappointing Mr. Cutié? It wasn’t that he had poor attendance in fact Mr. Cutié has over a 90% attendance record. Or that his peers did not respect his leadership after all he has been elected two consecutive years to serve as Community Board 11’s Treasurer. It wasn’t that Mr. Cutié did not actively engage in the important issues before the Board he has been a consistent presence at committee meetings on multiple matters serving on no less than four committees when members are only expected to participate in two. No, it wasn’t his performance that was a gauge in determining whether or not he would be reappointed; it was Mr. Cuité’s decision to support a candidate that opposed Mr. Reed in last year’s City Council race. How petty you say? We would be hard pressed to disagree.

El Barrio is a community that has consistently been under represented. The unwillingness of our elected officials at the Federal, State and City level to work in tandem to defend this community have led it to be discarded and ignored. This lack of active representation has demoralized El Barrio residents and in turn feeds into a vicious cycle of disengagement this is the unfortunate legacy left by our local elected officials.

Although many may read this and say about Mr. Reed’s and Ms. Fields’ actions “Well, that’s politics” this response is exactly the point. Yes, unfortunately, through their actions Mr. Reed and C. Virginia Fields are attempting to play politics as usual. But, we need to step up to the challenge that these elected officials have presented to us. We need to stand united as a community to say that we won’t stand for such pettiness nor will we tolerate the continued attempts at undermining our efforts for more effective and active representation. Not reappointing Mr. Cutié speaks to the larger issue of accountability and it is only by speaking out against such actions that we will put our elected officials on notice.

The energy and effort Mr. Reed and Ms. Fields have spent to silence Mr. Cutié in an attempt to “teach him a lesson” for making a decision he had every right to make is a true testament to their character. Please note, in the case of Mr. Reed, this is the same individual who has aspirations of becoming our borough president. If he can’t, in the spirit of collaboration and of building bridges with diverse communities, overlook this issue that in the larger scope of things is truly trivial, then as a community we need to let them know that we have serious concerns about their leadership ability.

Finally, City Council members make recommendations of who should serve on the local community boards, but the corresponding Borough President has the ultimate say in this regard. We need to hold both Mr. Reed and Borough President Fields accountable. In the end, though, it is Borough President Fields who can rectify this matter and it is she who should be held ultimately responsible.

Sincerely,

Melissa Mark Viverito, Gloria Quiñones, Betty Pérez-Cutié
Old 06-24-2004, 12:02 PM

What

MR.REED SELECTS A BOARD MEMBER BECAUSE HE EXPECTS SOMETHING IN RETURN;;;YES NO? THE BOARD MEMBER HE SELECTS DECIDESTO SIDE WITH MR. REEDS' APPONENT IN A CITY COUNCIL ELECTION;;;YES NO?

MR REED PROCEEDS TO TELL MR CUTIE TO TAKE A WALK

HELLO-AM I MISSING SOMETHING? JUST BECAUSE HE IS UP FRONT WITH WHAT HE FEELS AND DOESN'T GO AROUND TALKING ABOUT MR. CUTIE BEHIND HIS BACK LIKE MANY IN OUR CULTURE DO...HE IS WRONG..PLEASE WAKE UP MY PEOPLE
Old 07-01-2004, 12:57 AM
Administrator

I agree that Community Board # 11 should have appointments so as to reflect the East Harlem community at large. Its current composition is an injustice to say the least. I don't blame the board members as they are appointed and we should all congratulate and thank them for willingness to serve and give so freely of their time.

I do blame the powers that be, mainly Borough President Fields, for appointing a board so directly opposite of the communities composition. Since there are no accidents in politics, she can and should be held directly responsible for her actions. There are only half as many Hispanics appointed as there should be. I think it's time for Harlem to let go and let us East Harlemites run our own house.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:37 AM

Thumbs up Cutie

I Think Mr.reed Was Making An Attempt At Giving The Community Representation By Nominating Mr. Cutie To The Board. Being Political Does Not Mean You Turn Around And Bites The Hand That Feeds You. Mr. Cutie Should Of Supported Mr. Reed Then. Now Mr. Cutie Could Of Been In The Position To Actually Make Some Changes. Many African Americans Live In East Harlem Including Perkins And Wright. If We Could Learn Something From Harlem Is That People In Office There Are Visible Before Taking Office. We In East Harlem Alway Have To Choose Between One Carpet-bagger Or Another Except For Ruiz Or You Jose If You Run....let Stop Being Crabs In The Basket We Are About To Lose East Harlem To The South Bronx.

Last edited by LSRA : 07-06-2004 at 10:39 AM.