East Harlem Online Discussion Forums  

Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > Economic/Political > Politics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-10-2002, 07:27 AM

Councilmanic District Boundaries

It has come to my attention that the powers that be wish to change the East Harlem Councilmanic District boundaries to the disadvantage of Hispanics in the district and to the advantage of the West Side. Thereby including a higher percentage of African-American voters to dominate our district.

Now it is bad enough that C. Virginia Fields, Councilman Reed and company have seen fit to overload Community Board # 11 with more African-Americans than Hispanics (even though the district is a majority Hispanic), but now they wish to totally discriminate and crush Hispanic voters by insuring that we Hispanic are the minority voters in our own district. How long can we continue to allow this to happen?

Shame on you people! Why did you not create a district for yourself on the West Side. You are not one of us! Your values are different from East Harlemites, and a fair bit too Liberal for our liking. I guess that politics is far too important than the rights of Hispanics to have their own representative. And I guess that winning and ensuring your victory in the next election more important than Hispanic's right to self determination. It's amazing to me that a people with an ancestory of slavery would want to visit the same type of ordeal to others (Hispanics)by denying them their own representative and by deluting their vote.

We will not forget this, nor let you forget either.