East Harlem Online Discussion Forums  

Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > Economic/Political > Politics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2002, 11:47 PM

Olga Mendez

Former Democratic Senator Olga Mendez, now officially a card carrying GOP member
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2002, 02:40 AM
Administrator

Cool. I know some may be upset by this, but I try to look at the personal side of it. I can only imagine the courage it took to take this step. It's not easy fighting against a very strong ethnic pressure to be a Democrat. Even when you are actually a Republican or Conservative Democrat.

Take me for instance. I love the Democratic Party of the early 60's when certain things were wrong which are now considered politically incorrect and the new views considered "enlightened". Being Catholic also provides me with a certain mindset, which the Democrat party has moved so far away from since the 60s. For now I am a Conservative Democrat.

Back to Senator Mendez. I congratulate her on her decision, I know it must have been a hard thing to do. And I know she must feel more comfortable where she is at now. I guess some will call it actualization, I call it, her being herself. We must be mature enough and willing to accept and support when people make decisions like this. Heaven knows that we should play the two parties against each other in order to finally get some attention in our communities.

Again Congrats Olga!

Oh, Jibaro, that's a nice picture of Olga. Shows strength and determination. How do you feel about her switching parties?
Old 12-04-2002, 06:52 PM

Not sure, if "Congratulations" is in order here. In my opinion, Olga Mendez has always courted with GOP - as recent as Bloomberg and Pataki. Now that she has 'come out,' politically speaking, she has done something we all do naturally - 'change.'

It is a natural occurrance in us all. I venture to say that no one I know has not changed their minds a few times on how they look at certain issues, persons, places, etc.

I am not sure of what we all thought about the 'Middle East,' before 9/11, yet I am very certain those thoughts have since changed. It is only 'natural.

In the case of Mendez, it is only politics.
no congratulations necessary.

Last edited by Jibaro : 12-04-2002 at 07:50 PM.