East Harlem Online Discussion Forums  

Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > Economic/Political > Community Boards
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is Board # 11's composition unrepresentative of the East Harlem Community?
Yes 1 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2002, 12:56 PM

Pretend Politics

Another year has passed and David Givens has won another election for chair of Board # 11. How may you ask? How does he do it? Simple, he has the backing of the Harlem old guard political "leaders". C. Virginia Fields and Councilman Reed ensure his election by appointing more African Americans than Hispanics to the board. In a community made in which Hispanics are 54% of the population.

Sure there are Hispanics on the board, but the number of those appointed is low. Board # 11 host 22-24 African Americans and only 16 Hispanics. The opposite of what it should be. But where is the outcry from our community? Yes, Mr. Rivera wrote an article but he received no support from the Hispanic community.

Oh, No, "we don't wish to appear to be racists" while our Harlem task masters dominate us. It's funny, Hispanics in East Harlem are only asking for the same thing, which civil rights activist in the 60 were asking for. Fair representation and the right to represent ourselves. Must be like child abuse. One race is visiting the same type of discrimination on another after having been a victim of it. It's the only thing which makes sense. For David, how do you justifiy an African American majority on a board in which the community is 54% Hispanic???????

About the board meeting this past Tuesday, it was quite clear to me that Mr. Givens played the race game while attempting to do the opposite. He complained about the election seeming racial, and of course he said he wanted no part of it. But he made sure that two sick board members attended the meeting anyway to ensure his pre-rigged election (see above..C. Virginia Fields and such.

And I don't mean that Mr. Givens is racist, he is not. I do mean that he rallied his "troops", which all happened to be African American (except Taina) to ensure that African Americans control the board and that he continues to move his hidden agenda (really the agenda of Harlem politicians).

He also made sure that his cronies character attacked Ms. Quinones. This of course will not be forgotten when the time comes (don't worry, nothing illegal or unethical, just the truth). What goes around, comes around.

And Ms. Bell, you were quite a disaapointment. My best quess is that you were threatened or arm twisted in some way. You are not known for sitting on the side lines. But you are still ok in my book. Be the rebel you are. TEACH them, the board needs to learn how to think outside of the box.

ACTION TO TAKE
Pressure must be brought to bear on the Borough President and the Councilman for creating an unrepresentative board. I'd like to see how they will defend themselves against the truth.

And David, if this forum threatens you, just join in the discussion or are you too much a liberal to believe in discusson? For that is all this is, a CIVILIZED discussion. Are you afraid? Where are you David? Where are you Virginia, Where are you Phil?