Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2002, 12:53 PM

Angry protect our children

Dear Members of the Community:

I would like to bring to your attention a serious problem that has been going on for months now, and nobody is doing a thing about it. On 109 th Street, between Lex & 3rd, every Monday and Friday there is a needle exchange program. Although I agree that there is a need for such a program, I certainly disagree with the location: half block from a school, less than that from playgrounds.

I brought this to the attention of the N.Y. State Department of Health Harm Reduction Unit. I spoke to Ms. Maxine Phillips, who does not seem to care that children pass by bio-hazard material twice a week. When the program leaves, addicts come back and shoot up -- I witnessed it .

I really think that this needle exchange is not helping the community, but is every day creating a grave danger to kids who go to school nearby. I have a bucket of dirty needles that we have been picking up off the pavement.

When I asked why the program could not move to 110 th instead, the answer was that it isn't possible because there is a meth clinic there!!! So in other words, it is OK to exchange needles (creating the risk of more discarded needles) feet away from children, but it is not acceptable to do that next to a rehab clinic.

I hope to have a positive response and full support from the community in which I have been living for 4 years now. My goal is not to shut down A.D.A.P.T (the program that is doing the needle exchange), but only to protect the children of our community.

I ask anyone that cares to call Miss Phillips at 212-268-6987, and tell her that you, too, are not happy with the risk that such a program represents to the kids of our community.

So far we have been extremly lucky, and I pray everyday that no one will get hurt; but it is bound to happen. If no one cares and takes action, then one day someone will get pricked by one of those dirty needles, and then what?

I have witnessed a drug addict passed out on the sidewalk feet away from A.D.A.P.T AND THEY DID NOT LIFT A FINGER!!! I have pictures to prove this and hope to be able to attend the next board meeting, and to share thoughts with my fellow community members. Thank you, and I hope to have feedback from the community.

Cyril

Last edited by cyril : 10-02-2002 at 09:14 PM.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Cyril, thanks for getting this out to the community. I will fax this to community board #11 in the morning. Come to the next board meeting and speak during the public session.

Better yet attend the following:
October 8, 2002
6:00 PM
Public Safety / Transportation Committee
Community Bd. # 11
Board Office
55 East 115th St.
212-831-8929

And let them know. Bring your pictures.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:21 PM

Protecting our Children

Hello everyone - it's been awhile - but I'm still here and not planning to go anywhere.

Just had to reply to this topic. I'm glad you're writing about this serious problem. I too think it's too close to the schools and I know for a fact that syringes have been found in the school yard specifically the on 110th between third and second. My daughter attended that school and always told me that they would find empty sryringes and that the students would bring it to the attention of the school administration.

So did I, however, it seems that nothing ever gets done (as usual). I just saw this post so I didn't attend the Community School Bd. meeting - Did you? Did you get a chance to discuss this? and What were the results?

I have my doubts about this comm. sch. bd. and past ones - but that's my opinion.

Let me know was anyting accomplished?

I believe the community but parents in particular need to become aware of this situation - we need to organize and make some demands - by the time the bureaucrats do something about this it'll be another 20 yrs - as evidenced by the response you received about moving the program to another site.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:42 PM

Unfortunatly I can not make most of the meetings but I am not going to give up that easily .The next step is to inform the directors of the schools and if they have one once of common sense they will act accordingly.I thank you for taking five minutes to reply ,and it feel good to know that I am the only one concerned.thank you .