Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > Culture > Arts/Culture
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2002, 11:40 AM
Administrator

El Museo's New Director

El Museo Del Barrio has chosen their new Director, Julian Zugazagoitia. In case you are asking, he is Mexican, born in Mexico City. He will commence his employment in November.

Mr. Zugazagoitia was formerly an executive assistant to Thomas Krens of the Guggenheim Museum, before that he was the Direcor for Visual Artist for the Festival de Spoleto in Italy. You can read more about him in today's El Diario/La Prensa.

1. Do any of you know this gentelman?
2. Do you feel this was a good choice?

Let's open this up for discussion, what are your thoughts on the new Director of El Museo?
Old 09-26-2002, 07:00 PM

I think he will fit right in our community. Have you not noticed that our neighbors and friends ARE Mexican?

Do I detect a little xenophobia?
Old 09-30-2002, 12:51 PM
Administrator

nechodoma@juno..
You are right, he will probably do an excellent job at doing his museum thing, but will it include El Barrio?.

But that is not the question before us. What people in the streets are telling me is that they want someone who represents them. They tell me that the Studio Museum has an African American in charge, that other ethnic institutions have "one of their own" in charge. And people in the streets ask rhetorically "what, we are not good enough to run our own organizations?".

It's nothing personal against the new director. Again what people don't get is that El Museo is and was intended to be a Puerto Rican museum. What don't people get about that?
Old 10-03-2002, 11:30 AM

Jose:

The subject here is "The New Director". Here are some additional considerations:

--The Galeria de la Raza in San Francisco, a Mexican institution born of the struggle of its communty, has a COLOMBIAN Executive Director...

--A New Jersey University with a Puertorican Studies Dept. has a DOMINICAN Director...

--The Executive Director of Repertorio Espan~ol theatre is a CUBAN....

--The Director of the Abrons Art Center part of Henry Street Settlement in the Lower East Side--a Jewish institution if there was ever one--is a PUERTORICAN....

Further:

--Does the Director of the Studio Museum in Harlem LIVE in Harlem? She had previously worked at the Metropolitan Museum. Was she BORN in Harlem? or NYC for that matter?

--Does the Director of the Museum of African Art LIVE in East Harlem? was she BORN in East Harlem? or NYC for that matter?

--Did ANY of the past Directors of el Museo del Barrio LIVE in EAST HARLEM? Were any of the former directors of el Museo BORN in El Barrio?

Think about it..... I raise all these questions because if you continue along those lines you too will come to a similar conclusion: demanding or expecting that ANY institution specify/stipulate WHERE a Director is BORN, LIVES, or THAT person's HERITAGE is kind of absurd.

Had the Puertorican founders of el Museo wanted always a Puertorican director then THEY would have stipulated that in the by-laws. They did not; and for many good reasons....that position is about qualifications, judgment, stamina, track record, credentials, et. etc.

It appears that Mr. Zugazagoitia had the best of the above of all the available candidates willing to take on the job.

Last edited by nechodoma@juno. : 10-03-2002 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-04-2002, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Point well taken. Still I do have a preference.....
Old 10-04-2002, 09:26 AM

Of course we all have personal preferences!! But we cannot IMPOSE them on others in absentia!

I suggest that to have constructive and meaningful input (on el Museo) subscribe for a 1-year membership, and start sending suggestions, notes, etc. to the new director.....
Old 10-18-2002, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Not a bad idea. Actually, if time were not an issue, I'd much rather be a board member. But I am continuing my computer studies. Still a family membership is affordable.
Old 10-25-2002, 10:17 PM

Jose:

Of course you can nominate yourself to be a Member of the Board of trustees of el Museo. Send your CV to the nominations committe chair.

You can also ask them some of the requirements or commitments that are expected of each Board Member.

Please do not confuse being a Member of the Board at el Museo anything like being on the Community Board. These things are not elections nor about "representation"...often in museums and other cultural non-for-profits, there is $$$$ annual contribution commitment. $500, $1,500, $10,000 ANNUALLY!

Are you willing to do fund raising on behalf of el Museo? Are you able to donate large amounts of day time--yes during regular business hours--to attend meetings with potential funders? Are you prepared to, out of your pocket, donate $$$ so that a catalogue for the Tufin~o show can be printed? ETC> ETC.

It is often said of these kinds of Boards that you either: Give $$$, Get $$$ or Get Out.
Old 10-26-2002, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Actually, no.
I am not prepared to give out that kind of money or time.
As I am a regular working joe. If my income allowed and if I had that much discreationary time, I would. I guess that some of us just have to work for a living and then some don't. Wish I had that kind of time and money. If I did, I would spend it obtaining more news and updating the east-harlem.com web site more often.
Old 11-13-2002, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jose
Point well taken. Still I do have a preference.....
Jose, I feel what you're saying.

We as Latinos and particularly, yet not especially Puerto Ricans, carry our allegiances (SP?) deeply in our hearts.
I remember when El Museo Del Barrio was a few doors away from -then- Intermediate School 117 and the pride I felt that "We'" were going to represent Puerto Rican culture to the fullest extent.
A few years ago I visited El Museo and left with a heavy heart after witnessing a small exhibit relating to the Puerto Rican people and the seeming emphasis on Central America.

Last edited by Jibaro : 11-13-2002 at 02:12 AM.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:59 PM
Administrator

I know. It's as if we can't keep anything we start (NY Puerto Ricans). One the surface anyone would think we are the world's most friendly people, giving it all away. Art, Politics, Community organizations, you name it, we create it and then let other's take it over. Sound familiar to anyone?
Old 12-03-2002, 02:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ana Send a message via Yahoo to Ana
Ecuadorian Director for Salsa Museum

Hi Guys!

"Nechodona" (sorry if I got the spelling incorrect!) forgot to write that the former Executive Director for the Salsa Museum in Spanish Harlem is from Ecuador. He's resided in New York City since 1963. His name is Mr. Jose Obando.

Before Mr. Obando came into the Salsa Museum, it was basically just a novelty shop. Mr. Efrain Suarez, ONE of the "founders" of this Museum, had a sign outside his business with the word MUSEUM on it. Here's a little information for those who may not know. The government does NOT allow you to post a sign that reads 'MUSEUM' without you registering/CHARTERING it through the State's Department of Education/Regents.

This is what Mr. Jose Obando and yours truly, formerly of the Salsa Museum and now running Lubona Corporation/Salsa Sight did IN TWENTY ONE MONTHS. It normally takes most museums between five and twelve years to CHARTER a museum...we did it in 21 months and got PERSONAL congrats and accolades from Mr. Palmquist, an Esq. of the Department of Education/Regents, a trustee and board member of the Department of Education. In order to charter a museum, a cultural agency application has to be APPROVED by SIXTEEN esquirers of the State's Education Department, Mr. Palmquist being one of the sixteen esqs.

Due to our never-ending efforts to educate the other trustees of the Salsa Museum, namely the President and Vice President, about Education Law 216, which concerns Museum and all educational institutions' protoccols and how to appropriately run a museum, and witnessing NO positive results from it...we tired and left. To say the least, it is very disheartening when you achieve a 501 (c) 3 non-profit status, and a provisional charter for a wonderful and important educational institution such as a museum, dedicated to salsa, only to have trustees of this museum try to misuse plausible oncoming funds, and also, to have councilmen/women and politicos NOT help us with donations/funds in times of need. The reason Mr. Jose Obando and I left was because we refused to be part of an embezzlement planned by one of the trustees of the Salsa Museum, that, incidently, Mr. Obando appropriately and scrupously intercepted from being conducted; certainly, Mr. Obando and I were not going to share a jail cell with the daughter of MOTHER HALE!!! It is now up to the present trustees to up-keep the charter, and appropriately use their 501 (c)3 for this museum. What is the status of the Museum today? We do not know...some musicians tell us that it is no longer a Museum. Sad, but true. You guys be the judge...it is located on 2127 Third Avenue on 116th Street. Ask the owner or the President what they know about the evolution of salsa and to give you guys a tour of the Museum and discuss the origins of the artifacts.

Mr. Jose Obando and I are now CEO and COO, respectively, of Lubona Corporation/Salsa Sight, a consultancy organization focusing on the Latino market and also dedicated to continuing the dissemination of the educational programs (these educational programs were initially created for the Salsa Museum by Mr. Obando) concerning the 350 plus years of the evolution of salsa. We are proud of what we are doing. Recently, Mr. Jose Obando and I have been officially contracted to be the salsa consultants for the Musical Department at the Metropolitan Museum in New York City and we are presently working on a project involving one of Puerto Rico's national instrument, the Cuatro.

For a list of our clients and for more information about Lubona Corporation/Salsa Sight, please visit www.www.salsasight.com

Last edited by Ana : 09-17-2003 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:27 AM

Latinos and our Trojan Horse!

Sr, Jose Rivera With the thing going on the mainland, I can only think of the
Navtive America. Now on reservacions. When was the last time you seen, a Native Amrican family eating at mick D? I belive that maybe with this new director,el Sr, Julian Zugazagoitia. We are still on the forfront of our presant in spanish Harlam, or as my mother would call it la marquta R.I.P. I was onces told, that if you are not sloving the problem. you are part of the problem. You and others with forum like this are helping alot! If we can get the youngster more involve in questoning our history. take the fact that here in the caribbean, the true history begans some 60 years befor the pilgrms hit the rock. Alot of meat to dig up. Now it up to us to get them to question the history. By geting artist more invale in the movement, evan from the island that have somthing to say. For no man is an island. how? by teching our youngsters to go on the net and do some field stady of our ture history. to be able to expess themself though the arts in the fields as painters sculptors and sure music. The forum, for the art is and alway will be the museums. He mr or Sr Zugazagoitia more then enen body kowns about the the New Wall. latino is still a conncetion, My brothers Que viva the Trojan Horse. and let get started. Palante
David Aponte Resto
Old 07-29-2006, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Thanks for you input