East Harlem Online Discussion Forums  

Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > Computing > Software
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What Operating System Do You Use?
DOS 0 0%
Windows 95 0 0%
Windows 98 0 0%
Windows Me 1 11.11%
Windows XP (Home or Pro) 4 44.44%
Linux (Can be dual boot with Windows) 1 11.11%
Mac 2 22.22%
Other? 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2002, 09:45 AM
Administrator

What Operating System Do You Have

This poll question may seem like the one on the hardware section, but this is slightly different. Even if you have a regular PC, you may be running Linux, BSD or just Dos on it. So this question pertains to operating environment.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:28 AM

Operating System

ME
Old 12-03-2002, 01:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ana Send a message via Yahoo to Ana
Windows XP

Dear Jose:

Please help!!! I just purchased a Viper that runs on Windows XP. Unfortunately, I found out that before you purchase software, they have to be XP compatible.

I have a digital camera that was given to me as a gift way before I purchased this computer. It is a Kodak DC220 digital that came with its own photo program by Kodak. The Kodak program for the camera does not comply with Windows XP commands...in other words, I believe it is not compatible. I would like to download/upload the pictures that I have on the compact flash cards to my hard drive using my Kodak camera and its program. Is there any way that I can go around the Windows XP and start using my Kodak digital camera with it's program again? Thanx for your help!
Old 12-03-2002, 02:33 PM

Hola, Ana,

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you write: "The Kodak program for the camera does not comply with Windows XP commands..."

Try this and let me know how it works:

While on East Harlem.com on

either the "post reply," or "Post new thread" page - two boxes, or sections from where you will type your comments, find the "Attached File:" area . . .click on "browse," find the "Desktop"
title. . . once there locate Kodak program files . . .

If you have not saved your pictures onto your computer's hard drive or floppy disk, you must have your camera connected with the computer in order to access your photos. You may want to create a "New Folder" on your desktop and for instance - name it "Kodak pictures," and save your selections of photographs in this folder.
Let me know . . .

Last edited by Jibaro : 12-03-2002 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2002, 06:24 PM

Kodak photo program

Hello Jose and thanks for your prompt response. What I meant was that the program that the camera came with, called Picture Easy Transfer program, my new computer won't "take", or, my new computer that runs on Windows XP, won't interact with the PICTURE EASY KODAK PROGRAM. But, I'll try what you suggestion. Should I continue to have problems, I'll keep in touch. Thanks again.
Old 12-04-2002, 02:23 AM
Administrator

Hi Ana,
Windows XP comes with a program which is "suppose" to be able to grab photos off the camera. Under "Accessories" there is a Scanner and Camera wizard. Click on that and see if XP will at least see your camera. If it can, then it will grab the photo's off of your camera and probably put them in the My Pictures folder. If that is all you wish to do, then you are done (don't forget to delete the pictures from your camera to free up disk space on it).

If you wished to do more with the program that came with the camera, then you may wish to try installing the software (I know you probably did this already) then run the Program Compatability Wizard (its under Start/Help and Support. Look for the Wizard and then go through it. You can also right click on the icon for your program, goto Properties and then the compatibility tab. Choose from there. Let me know if it works. It doesn't always work. For instance, my Corel Draw Version 7, just does not work with XP. So I purchase Adobe PhotoShop Elements 2.0. I still miss Corel.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:56 AM

Software for XP

Hi Jose:

Thanks a bunch for the information. I will certainly try that! I'll keep you posted. Again, thanx.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:05 PM

Windows XP

Hey Jose!

Part One of your instructions WORKED!! Thanx a bunch! I still haven't tried the other half of your instructions but the most important instructions did work. I had completely forgotten that you have to prepare the computer and tell it what you are installing for it to operate. Again, thanks so much.

Ana.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:07 PM

Re: Windows XP

Quote:
Originally posted by Ana
Hey Jose!

Part One of your instructions WORKED!! Thanx a bunch! I still haven't tried the other half of your instructions but the most important instructions did work. I had completely forgotten that you have to prepare the computer and tell it what you are installing for it to operate. Again, thanks so much.

Ana.
Quote:
"Yo No Meto Miedo Pero Meto Mano" - Carlos A. "Rigo" Malcon
Old 12-05-2002, 08:11 AM
Administrator

I am glad to hear it. Snap away with that camera. In fact today will be a good day to take pictures. Snow makes for such lovely pictures.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Anyone else have pics of East Harlem during a snowstorm?
Old 01-09-2004, 07:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to neo
Lightbulb WHAT AM I RUNNING

WIN98se ,, WIN2000,,, Win2000 Advance Server and i keep tryign sme favors od Linux red hat, mandrake( not to hot)

neo aka Tom G the Geek
Old 01-09-2004, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Hi Neo,
Thanks for registering. I have played with Mandrake and like it. But have concentrated on Redhat for server experiments. Right now I am running Fedora. And a friend of mine suggested Debian, but I need to buy a Debian book to read as I go along.

Besides that I have a Win95, Win98, WinMe, WinXP Home and one WinXP Pro. I have one Linux box, but hope to have a second one within the month. I guess you have built you own machine. Me too, which is why I hope to build another one within 30 days and make my current XP Home box a linux one (thereby getting my second linux box). Hey, it gives me something to do.

Am currently reading up on backing up with linux. If you do backups, please tell me what you use.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Oh, I forgot to ask, do you work in computing in East Harlem?
Old 01-11-2004, 02:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to neo
Talking

well I don't do much back-up my only on my cdr for my own personal stuff,

I work in queens where I have a p2p network nothing big with about 60-70 computers some running xp pro. 2000 and 98 and some novell client version to log into the main sites internet at our corporate headquarters.

I am still trying to learn Linux I d/l many of the O/S but just run out of time to play with them.

Neo aka Tom G the Geek