Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-24-2002, 07:38 PM

East Harlem, late 1800s

Hi all,
I am an amateur genealogist and have been researching my "family tree" for about three years now. I am interested in locating any books (or websites) on the history of East Harlem. The years on which I would like to focus (the years my ancestors lived there) are from the 1880s and up to about 1925/1930. I believe this was before the neighborhood became predominantly hispanic. By 1930 many of my family had moved to the Bronx. My ancestors emigrated to NYC from St. Croix when the Virgin Islands were still owned by Denmark - they were descended from Danes and "free mulattos" (as tehy were called in the islands). I have copies of Geraldo Guirty's books, 'Sixtonian: Vignettes 'Bout Amalia,' and 'Harlem's Danish-American West Indians' but there is an emphasis on Virgin Islands politics and West Harlem - so any other suggestions on books are greatly welcome!

My gr-gr-grandparents and their relatives lived at several addresses in East Harlem. Here are the ones I have found in written records, starting from 1900 up until 1920: 202 E. 98th; 1855 Third; 1795 Third; 1805 Third; 2372 Second; 1755 Third; 341 E. 122nd; 1866 Third; 303 E. 122nd; 334 E. 123rd; and 404 E. 123rd. Are any of these addresses still there or recognizable at all?
Old 08-31-2002, 05:30 PM
Administrator

I wish you luck on your search. Most books available have only general information.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:25 AM

Addresses

Hi, thanks for the encouragement. You didn't mention anything about the addresses in my previous post. Do you (or anyone else) know if any of those addresses are still standing? I think some of them are projects now but I was hoping at least one or two buildings might still be there, so I can take pics. Thx.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Sorry, I have not checked, but my guess is that most of these still exist. I will get back to you with a difinative answer and maybe some pictures, but give me a week or two.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdi
Hi, thanks for the encouragement. You didn't mention anything about the addresses in my previous post. Do you (or anyone else) know if any of those addresses are still standing? I think some of them are projects now but I was hoping at least one or two buildings might still be there, so I can take pics. Thx.

I'm almost sure all the tenements you gave are still there, also I think from the late 1920s onward, those addresses would have been part of Little Italy, which was one of the biggest little Italys in the U.S. at the time.

They'd be no reason to tear down any of the tenement buildings you mention. That's not how things are done in New York. My family lived in a 50-year old building in the 1950s, and it's still there and looking fine.

But, that said, if I were you, my interest would be St. Croix, VI. I lived there for about six months and it's a great place.

ric
Old 05-16-2008, 03:41 PM