East Harlem Online Discussion Forums  

Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > Economic/Political > Economic Development
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-28-2001, 12:17 AM
Administrator

Gotham Plaza on East 125th Street

Here is more information about Gotham Plaza, a commercial development on the North side of 125th Street between Third and Lexington Avenues as taken from their ground breaking brochure.

"Gotham Plaza, a Blumenfeld Development Group, LTD (BDG) project will be a 123,335 square foot mixed use commercial development. BDG was selected by the New York City Economic Development Corp. as the developer for the site through their formal Request For Proposal ("RFP") process.

Gotham Plaza will consist of three levels and a sub-grade parking structure. The ground floor will be used for Retail tenants (approximately 7-9 tenants total). The third floor will be occupied in it's entirely, by the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).

Perhabs the most exciting part of the project is the second floor. BDG will be constructing the first speculative space in East Harlem's recent history. This exemplifies BDG's confidence in the bright future of the East Harlem Community, made evident by the abundant development seen along the 125th Street Corridor.

Supportingthe project, Gotham Plaza will be home to a sub-surface parking garage with approximately 250parking spaces.

Ground floor retail tenants that have already committed to the project include: Fleet Bank, The Children's Place, Payless Shoes, and Petland Discounts.

The DMV will be moving and expanding from a smaller location in Harlem thus retaining and creating approximately 100 jobs.

The proposed development represents a $23 million investment in the community and will create approximately 250 construction jobs". Construction began on April 2nd, 2001.

What do you think about this project?
What will it mean to the community?
Aren't you just itching to go shopping?
Old 06-17-2001, 07:00 AM

Can't wait to go shopping!!
Old 07-10-2001, 08:38 PM

Hi Jose,

This is a positive step in the right direction for East Harlem. It amazes me how many of el barrio's so-called leaders are dead set against this type of gentrification. But let's be honest, what are smaller businesses doing for the overall common good of EL BARRIO? Economic uplifting has stagnated due to this consistent backlash against any type of corporate move into the community. These same people wanted nothing to do with the Pathmark on 125th between lex and third. ake a look at that area now and things seem alot brighter economically than it did when it was just an empty lot.

We need to encourage investment into our community. EL BARRIO is in dire need of a facelift. We also need to encourage East Harlem residents to get themselves invovled in the process. We need more Latinos willing to invest in their own communities. I'd like to see a few latino owned businesses spring forth from the 125th street way business development project.

The only thing that disturbs me a bit is that I notice the same people are investing their $$$ ni East Harlem. Petland Discounts and Payless Shoes. Sorry but I've had enough of thsoe two to last me a lifetime. I'd like to see more dynamic business debut in the area. Like Disney Corp. Or how about a music center/record store like HMV or Virgin? One thing that I've ntoiced East Harlem has lost is it's diners. I'd like to see a comeback of the quaint intimate diner where one could go and drink a cup of coffee and read the paper and have some old-fashioned corn muffins to go with it.

East Harlem used to be the home for many theaters during the 30s, 40s and 50s. Eventualyl the were all demolished or taken over, mostyl by religious groups. Nothing wrong with that of course and nothign lasts forever, but I'd like to see some theaters pop up in East Harlem. Not just Movie Theaters, but Show theaters where you could catch a musical act or a play or what have you. It would revitalize the community and make it's residents even prouder of calling East Harlem their home.

My honest opinion....

Richie
-- --
Old 07-12-2001, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Richie,
You said a mouthful. There does seem to be an almost automatic knee-jerk reaction against any kind of economic development. I am puzzled by this as those against development often do not give an alternative development plan.

Personally I'd like to see a good place to eat great Spanish food. I love the idea of good presentation and good food.