Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > Economic/Political > Politics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 02:10 PM

Is East Harlem "dying"

Just a general question I guess.

I was out of NYC from 8/2005-1/2008, and have noticed some very subtle yet distinct changes as I walk around now. Some call it regentrification, I call it "losing flavor." Seems like the neighborhood may be changing, and very rapidly. Not better/not worse, just changing. Real estate agents on 97th advertising 116th street as a "hip" place to live - and seeing rents being asked of $2000 for a 1 bedroom in the 110's.....Old bodegas closing, and being replaced by $10 "Health" burger takeout joints. Also seems like many people are apathetic to these changes, as the rug is being pulled out from under their feet.

Is, as de la vega so succinctly painted it on 103rd street a few years back, the Rose dying? And don't give me that nonsense, "NO IT IS NOT, IT IS CHANGING!" I have heard that enough. Now, grant it, I am not a botanist, but I know that a rose either lives and grows or dies. It does not change into a lilac, or a tulip. Neither does it change into a different genus altogether...ie a horse, a frog or a pigeon. "A rose is a rose, and even when called by any other name is still a rose"

I think people had better wake up from their stupor very quickly, or wee will end up seeing the day when East Harlem is another Disney (Times Square), or a Museum of what a New York Neighborhood Once WAS!!!

Steve
the traveler
Old 11-06-2008, 09:04 AM

Obama

East Harlem Was Dead, While In Harlem We Celebrated A No Work Wednesday For The Obama Victory. Wacara Con Wacara As My Parents Would Say For The Number 44 When It Was Drawn In Home Style Lotto Game.

So Congradulations To The Usa For Making It Happen....as For East Harlem I Guess We All Celebated AT Home....but Not Me. 125th Was The Place For Tears And Spontaneous Combustions Of All Good Kinds. I Celebated So Much I Was Late To Get Newspapers The Next Day....but I Was There And The Experience Is Better Than A Paper...

Lsra
Old 05-06-2009, 08:03 AM

no podemos

no podemos dejar nuestro sentidos del pasado decidir nuestros votos en el manana. la politica del barrio esta en la manos del pobre que todavia quiere vivir en la communidad. vamos a ver si podemos elejir una persona que si sabe nuestra necesidades. uno o una con mas sentido popular y espirtual. conece a una persona asi. pues esa o ese es el que tenemos que apoyar.

lsra
Old 07-16-2009, 10:17 AM

Get Ready

This Councilmatic Election Is Actually A Race Between Money From The Bronx Machine And Money From The Pockets Of Everyday Folks Of Harlem. People Of East Harlem Have To Defeat The Bronx Machine That Is Heading One Candidate Or Maybe Two Candidates. Calvin Solomon Is Truly The A Son Of East Harlem As Is His Money. No Bronx Money Machine. It May Be That The Black Vote And A Large Segment Of The Latino Community Still In Nycha Apartments Will Support Solomon. He Has Been Involved With All The Nycha Tenant Associations In The Election District. He Is The Peoples Man And He Will Win If The Females Running Split The Caucasian And Hispanic Female Vote The Other Male Running Gets The Majority Of The Hispanic Male Vote And Solomon Get Votes From Each Group Especially The Majority Of The Black Vote, He Will Win The Primary.

Lsra
Old 07-28-2009, 10:09 AM

arts and politics

the next arts and cultural festival which was developed back in 2004, u know the story, is so well collaborated upon by different art organizations that within all the organizing for august 22-23 the main event will be guess who? the 6th annual festival started in 2004 by a hand full of volunteers some board members and chaired by TAINA. so no matter the collabs and miscounts the history need to be told and not forgotten.

lsra

n