Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > Culture > Arts/Culture
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2002, 09:51 AM
Administrator

El Museo Town Hall Meeting in Sept

There will be a Town Hall meeting between El Museo Del Barrio and the community. See below:

6:00 - 8:00 PM
Cultural Affairs
Community Bd. # 11
TOWN HALL MEETING: A Community Dialogue with El Museio de Barrio
La Guardia Community Center
307 East 116th Street Basement
212-831-8929
You must Pre-Register to speak. Call the number above
Old 09-06-2002, 11:42 PM

Question date?

What day is the meeting on? i didn't see it in your post.
Thanks
Old 09-11-2002, 10:10 PM

I think it is a waste of Debbie Quinones and our time to hold a meeting (and a dumb campaign of her little comittee) when the same thing could have been done by making a phone call and scheduling something directly with the staff and the board of el Museo.

Debbie just wants to get on the board of el Museo for her own power hungry reasons but it is a fraud for her to then haul everybody in & their brother. She lost the election at the CB but she still has some ax to grind.

It does not help her cause that she has joined w/ AurorA Flores who is a rich business woman who had for many years juicy contractrs with el Museo without any bids. She is now bitter that she did not "get" the Frida Kahlo/Diego Rivera contract (it came already packaged). Ms. Flores has also been quoted a hating "whites" and "rich" board members--but is that a case of the pot calling the kettle black or WHAT?

Ms. Quinones is better off getting on the board of Taller Boricua and the Julia de Burgos Cultural Center. NOW they need her fundraising skills badly.

Ms. Quinones also orchestrated a demonstration in front of the museum when there was a memorial being held for the 9-11 victims. Hundreds and hundreds of people where there (inside the courtyard) from EL BARRIO, and she has the gaul to scream about el Museo excluding residents of el Barrio?

Why not schedule a meeting to PROTEST the new museum of African Art going up....I hear it costs MILLIONS to build and they did not ask her for her opinion. She could be banging on her drums downtown in front of Bloomberg to GET MORE $$$$ for el Museo so it can have a BIGGER building.

I nominate HER MOTHER to be the new Director. WE are watching Debie and will remember this in the next election, AGAIN.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:08 AM
Administrator

The meeting is set for Today, September 26, 2002.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:25 AM
Administrator

nechodoma@juno.,
You must be speaking about another Debbie Quinones who is doing things identical to the Debbie I know. For the Debbie Quinones I know is truthfull, honest, and really cares about our community. She like many of us has been an activist for many years in this community, all without financial gain.

Unlike others, who get paid for what they do, or have something to financially gain, and dare call themselves activist. And who otherwise woud not do the work of the community or volunteer if they were not getting paid for it. Same goes for people who recieve awards for their "public service", but have been getting paid professionally for their work. You have to ask, "would they have done public service if they were not getting paid for it?" Many characters in East Harlem's public life would not, I dare say.

As to the issue with El Museo, Debbie's strategy is sound. Public pressure and using a public forum is a more open process in which we can all participate. Regardless on how we all feel about this issue, at least Debbie is using the way that allows all voices to be heard. And remember, Board # 11 is backing her. It did not have too. In other words she has community support.

Aurora is a professional business woman and has obtained a level few in this community have ever reached. I'd defer to Aurora before someone else who has yet to accomplish what she has. Remember success is achieved by doing what successfull people do, not what the unsuccessfull do.

Back to Debbie, she'd make a great Officer of any of board 11's officer post should she be so inclined to run.

Lastly, your attack seemed personal. Why is that? As this is a discussion board for all opinions, I have to say on the other hand that discourse is better than no discourse so I thank you for your opinion. I am curious though, what's your beef with Debbie?
Old 09-26-2002, 06:56 PM

The Deborah Quinones I am speaking about is the very SAME person you are speaking about. You see the glass as half full and I see it as half empty.

She does not "represent" my views nor the views of many others with respect to this so-called "town hall meeting". It is designed to lynch people. There is a group of people from East Harlem who are boycotting that charade.

CB 11 is but one of many forums; it is not the end all and be all for our community.

What I find inconsistent w/ Ms. Quinones--and why I think it is a fraud-- is that she did not do the same thing with the MCNY, or Taller Boricua, or any other institution in el Barrio.

As recent news point out, just because a person is very successful (such as you say Ms. Flores is), it does not make them more virtuous--look at the CEO scandals shaking our economy. By the same token I find Ms. Flores' conduct equally egregious and hypocritical.

As I read in some other forum this is a case of "unnecessary hysteria".

Whatever views are expressed in the so-called town hall meeting (the format is more like a hearing) they are moot and academic. Any museum or any non-for-profit organization can choose its own director.
Old 09-27-2002, 10:07 PM

Now that the meeting has passed we can all go back to our regular jobs.
Old 09-30-2002, 12:56 PM
Administrator

It's not time to forget and move forward. It is time to move forward. I am not sure if you attended the meeting, but the chairman of the board of El Museo did look like he did want to mend fences or at least change El Barrios' perception of El Museo.
So hope reigns eternal.

I still believe in Debbie and Aurora can take care of herself. Again Debbie is not doing this for gain. Nor is Board 11. Can you suggest any other forum since you mentioned that Board 11 is not the only one? And why did you not have your own forum?
It's always easier to throw stones then to build a house.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:41 AM

Are you a member of el Museo? There is a special category for people living in el Barrio, zip code 10029, which gives you free admission, discounts at the store, and puts you on the mailing list of all members.

If you are a member then you are like a stake holder on the organization, you have a vote. You can write to them and suggest programs, exhibitions, etc.

If you are NOT a member, then you are throwing stones at the institution.

I did not think it was necessary to hold a hearing, a meeting, or anything like that. I am perfectly satisfied with the work el Museo does.

I think this forum is the perfect venue to express opinions and share information, etc. To me this is far more instructive that the meeting Debbie scheduled. If she were holding a SERIES of EQUAL meetings to go over ALL THE OTHER institutions in el Barrio, then I think that would be equitable......BUT as far as I know, she is only doing this with el Museo.

This is discriminatory and a form of harrassment. THAT, in my opinio is why I think that Debbie's efforts, in this issue, are a charade, a fraud. Not everyone in the community went or cared for that meeting. Thousands of others stayed home.

By the way is Debbie a member? Or is she "above" that?
Old 10-02-2002, 09:11 PM
Administrator

I am a member of the community and live in Zipcode 10029. Have lived here for over 40+ years (never give your age on the internet). And I agree that some other local institutions could use some scrutiny. But one step at a time does it.

I would not classify Debbies attention to El Museo as harrassment. I guess El Mueso is closer to her heart (relatively speaking) than any other institution. I will give her a ring and see if she will respond to your last thread herself. Time to move on.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:57 PM

Dear Jose:

As you say in all those 40+ years of living in el Barrio WITH el Museo del Barrio in it for 33 of those 40+ years:

--Did you ever pay $25 for a one-year membership?

--Did you yourself contribute sweat or contribute in any way to advancing the mission of the founders?

--Did you take your children there to see our culture? or, alternatively, did you take members of your family frequently to visit shows, participate in its education programs?

--Did you send or make any $$$ contribution?

--Did you volunteer your time to help with those things the organization needed, when it needed it?

--Did you ever write a letter or make a call to the director or the staff directly to complain/praise any of the shows?

My friend if you have done NONE of the above, there is no moral or credible standing for your argument.... ditto for Ms. Quinones.

El Museo has been there for 33 LONG YEARS.....el Museo can be your museum if you wanted to, but it cannot be done in absentia, at a distance, by holding meetings elsewhere, demonstrating without first asking or going directly to the sorce.