User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2001, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Question Sharpton & Ferrer

Hi Gang,
What do you make of the Rev. Al Sharpton and Freddie Ferrer show last week?

The Rev. Al says he won't endorse Freddy unless Freddy endorses Black
candidates in their elections. Problem is for the races that the Rev. Al
wants endorsement, no African-Americans have thrown their hats into the race.

Like What gives? What is really going on? Is this shades of the
1977 Mayoral Race where Badillo gets rear ended by the gang of four?
Or is something else happening here? Should Hispanics be worried, concerned?
Or is this politics as usual? If nothing else, its entertaining.

I am not sure what to make of this. Who knows what does go on behind the scenes.
If you know, or think you know, let the rest of us know. Let's discuss this.

P.S. Remember, Rev. Al is a pretty smart cookie. What does he have up his
sleeve?

Old 05-22-2001, 05:34 PM

Latino/African-American Coalition is Dead, Blame Dinkins

Good to be back.
Today's local news had a report about the death of the Latino/African American coalition. Truth be told, the coalition never ever materialized. African-Americans have no interest in such a coalition. Former Mayor Dinkins, who I voted for in the past, went with Mr. Green for Mayor.

Its seems that Latinos have been stabbed in the back once again, once during the 1977 Mayoral race, when Rangel, Sutton, Farrell and other Black leaders turned their backs on Herman Badillo.

Latino leaders then supported Dinkins for Mayor when he ran, expecting that when a viable Latino candidate ran that he/she would be supported.

All I can say is that I hope we learned our lesson. Politics is a give and take proposition. And it seems that we have given, given, given and African Americans have taken, taken, taken.

Latinos should NEVER support any African American candidate for office, ever again. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

In keeping with my new resolve, I am asking all Latinos in El Barrio/SPANISH HARLEM, not to support Coucilman Phil Reed for his run for reelction! And Latinos should unite behing the most viable candidate they can muster!!!!
We are the majority you know!

And Congressman Rangel, your district is now 50.2% Hispanic, why are you still here? Where are you Adam Powell?
Old 05-24-2001, 02:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to carmen quinones
First let me say that Public Advocate Mark Green Has always been there for me and my constituents. Whenever I need him. When I fought the mayor on the stairwell fires and what about the assbesstos crisses in public housing he was there I left the door open for all and only one that came was mark green came to the aid of the people in my district come on where is our loyalty how soon we forget we saved a 82 year old woman who was dying inhaling those fummes and all she had to fight for her was her home attendant who could'nt even speak english she was bedwritten and alone. where was freddy never in eastharlem never in westside never in my district Hello, come on guys get real. I will grant the the Latino/african American community do have Issues but shame on us for letting them get over. Why do we Latinos have to get hit over the head over and over to know who our friends are we are the blame for what is happening we must learn to stand firm when we see injustice. Now we want to make Phil Reed the target hey I'm not a fan and beleive me their is much to be angry about but we will be just as bad as they are, tick for tack is not the way. As to the Rev,Al Sharpton all he wanted to know is who the coalition consitted of nothing wrong with that. Freddy never answers a question when ask he goes all around it.But Philip Reed is still supporting him come on guys whats wrong with that picture.
Old 05-24-2001, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Thanks for replying Carmen.
You have said a lot. A lot to think about. I guess what you are saying is that we must keep our wits about us. Keep our heads, be level headed. Think this through.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Hopefully, unity will be the outcome.

Do you know anything else about Freddy and what is really happening behind the scenes?
Old 06-17-2001, 06:54 AM

Nationwide Stab in the Back

I beg to differ with Ms. Quiniones.
In California, the Hispanic gentleman running for Mayor of LA was not supported by the African-American community. Other cities in the U.S. are experiencing the same blunt outcome. Here in NYC, Sharpton and Dinkins are trying to pull the same stunt. Nationwide, African-Americans are showing their preferences to white candidates over Hispanics.

What are we to do about that Ms. Quiniones? Hispanic power in inevitable. Wouldn't it be smarter to help it now, than fight it and later risk having the African-American community forgotten.

Tell me, why are State Senator Olga Mendez and Assemblyman Adam Powell supporting incumbent Phil Reed over any other Latino/Puerto Rican?
Old 06-20-2001, 01:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to carmen quinones
look at what we have to chose from, hello what have any of these canidates done and most of all when where and what have they done. reality is that there is work to be done and we must learn not to keep changing in midstream. since Assemblyman Angelo Del Toro died their has not been any representation we are a mess in east harlem because people feel the need to tear eachother up. ((((why))) lets try to come up with solutions and put the heat where it belongs, if you see the job not being done white black hispanic or other VOTE THEM OUT and fine a good canidate to replace them but with a united front thats all I'm saying don't kill eachother in the process than say I'm sorry. hello my children and my childrens children are paying a price they have nothing to do with. now is the time to be united more than ever. As for adam powell he is not supporting phil reed he is supporting miriam after first supporting felipe than he got mad at felipe and now running miriam see everyone has an agenda and we the people are not being respected and they are playing not only with our heart and mind but with our vote so when you got so much shit in the game you stick to the incumbent because everyone is stabbing eachother and the bad part of it is. look at the puerto ricans running eachother down in the process. It hurts to see our own stabbing eachother in front of the world to see shame on us. When will they grow up!!!!!