East Harlem Online Discussion Forums  

Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > Economic/Political > Politics
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2001, 07:56 AM

A Real Challenge to Councilman Reed?

Rumor has it that one by one challengers to Councilman Reed are dropping their candidacies. Mr. Edwin Marcial and Ms. Meeling Eng have reportedly dropped out of the race. Leaving Ms. Miriam Falcon Lopez and Mr. Felipe Luciano as the last two real challengers. It is reported that Ms. Falcon Lopez's petitions are not what they could be and that she may either have to drop out of the race or be challenged off the ballot.

I have no preferences for anyone mind you, but if Ms. Falcon Lopez is dropped off the ballot, that would leave Felipe Luciano and Councilman Reed to duke it out in September's primary. And would give Hispanics a better shot at winning the councilmanic seat.

If Mr. Luciano does win, you can kiss Community Board 11's over representation of Afraican-Americans and the full restoration of the Hispanic community's representation on the board. Meaning, at least a 52% Hispanic board membership and 40% African American. And of course that would also effectively end Mr. David Given's role as overbearing Chair of the board.

Mr. Luciano, whatever you do, WIN.
Old 07-24-2001, 09:32 PM
Administrator

muaddib,

Interesting,... to say the least. No one can accuse you of not having an opinion. Good for you! We need more people to get involved on all sides of all issues. Too many remain quite and therefore let things happen. As I say, either you are making things happen or they are happening to you.

I am very interested in how this council race will shape up. It's entertainment value alone is great! What tensions!! And what Drama!!
On at last two levels, councilmanic and community board. You can't say Spanish Harlem is not interesting.

You may be interested to know that there will probably be a Councilmanic Candidates Forum in September, as soon as I know I will let you know. Maybe we can meet there.
Old 08-02-2001, 10:49 PM

I just heard that Miriam Falcon Lopez has been kicked off the ballot. Too bad. But now it will be one on one between Councilperson Reed (boo, hiss) and Felipe Luciano. But we need to get the vote out.

Watch half of the Hispanic Leadership to 'sell out' and support Reed. These people should be hung.