East Harlem Online Discussion Forums  

Go Back   East Harlem Online Discussion Forums > Culture > Music
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-30-2006, 12:13 AM

whats going on?

I've been playing at the harbor conservatory for over 2 years now, after doing gigs in east harlem before that w/ my brasilian group. i've switched over now, completely absorbed w/ latin music, my awesome underaged associates, & my teachers. My Question:

what was going on in the 70s when johnny colon's school *and* the Harbor were both formed? were these the first attempts to institutionalize latin music? why did it take me two years at the harbor before i knew about the east harlem school, & to find out that most of my teachers were there before they came to the harbor?

was there any rivalry? is this a sensative question?

there is a new influx of teachers--very good, all of them--but more recent immigrants. they didn't come up in harlem listening to james brown or latin soul, etc. there are certainly a lot of kids there, and they're out there playing 4 or 5 nights a week before they hit 17, some of them. between the newer teachers, the administration, and the legends who have been educating in the barrio for 30 years or more-- there isn't a complete agreement on what the fundamentals of latin music are. but the kids are coming, and they have minds of their own, and *something* is happening.

SO, back to my q: what happened in the 70s in the neighborhood that created the right ambience for these two schools? why did it happen THEN?

and--what has changed in terms of venues? what keeps the music in the neighborhood? 'salsa', as im beginning to learn about it on a more academic level, has reached nearly all ends of the earth. but here it always feels local. you can catch the legends, johnny at La Fonda and people like chocolate who drop in whenever... karen from la perfecta god bless.

are there fewer venues for young players to learn by rote? my teachers are always pulling me up on stage-- but i don't know the barrio of 30, 40 years ago.

anybody who wants to talk and share--thanks. sounds like many of you know the sidewalks like the back of your hand.

Victoria