View Single Post
Old 05-10-2003, 05:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ana Send a message via Yahoo to Ana
Hi Jose:

Don't think you do not have Taino blood in you until your mother's MITOCHONDRIAL gene is tested.

The Recinto University of Mayaguez held biological and scientific studies and experiments and have discovered that a strong contribution of indigenous (Taino) genes carried by the MITOCHONDRIAL (maternal) gene in Puerto Rican men and women tested for indigenous DNA. It was found that in one group of testing, 25 of the 33 volunteers tested positive for the Mitochrondial indigenous DNA! In another group of PUerto Rican women tested (this test was done in various provinces of Puerto Rico) 39 of 56 women who volunteered demonstrated a POSITIVE Mitochrondial indigenous DNA.

The Mitochrondrial DNA tells us of the ethnic origins of a woman. Remember, for centuries, the Spaniards who invaded Borinquen were MEN, for the most part, so it's impossible for men to transmit the mitochrondrial DNA to the Puerto Rican women, only the nucleus of their DNA. So remember, my friend, the mitochondrial DNA that you CARRY is the same DNA that your mother, your grandmother and your great-grandmother has. Ergo, your indigenous DNA in your mitochrondrial tells you that if you go further for your roots via your mother's DNA line, you WILL reach your Taino roots. Fifty three percent (53%) of our ancestors, in the times of the Spanish colonization, were Indian (Taino) women!

And more food for thought. The invasion of the Spaniards in Puerto Rico DID NOT wipe out the Taino indians (remember, Tainos lived in Cuba, Haiti, Dominican Republic, PUerto Rico, well, the Antilles, so it's impossible for the Spaniards to have wiped out Tainos altogether). My brother, the Arawaks, Tainos and the Caribs were EXCELLENT NAVIGATORS who built canoes that can hold up to one hundred people...I'm sure that the Spaniards (who didn't know their way around the rain forrest) could not get to all Tainos because the Tainos took their canoes to safety. They knew their way around better than the Spaniards.

I embrace my African and Indian roots, although I know well that I probably have Spanish blood. I cannot embrace my Spanish roots simply because of what history dictates.

But I agree with you, I still am proud of the fact that I was born in Spanish Harlem of Puerto Rican parents. "Que Viva La Raza!"

Hasta later,
Ana Flores