View Single Post
Old 10-01-2006, 05:27 PM

Richie,

Thanks again for responding. I did know that the Barrio was an important P.R. community since the late 1800s, and after citizainship was granted, became the neighborhood of choice for P.R. immigrants. I didn't know that it was later on that peolple started moving to the South Bronx.

The images in the film (A south bronx tale) really changed my perspective on the music of that time, as if i can't listen to it in the same way anymore.
I know that salsa has become an international phenomenon (orquesta la luz, Salsa in Cali, etc)--but it really made me think of how, after debates of "authenticity" have already gone cold, music is still very tied to a place and to personal experiences in a place.

what did i think of 'mi mambo'? i'm proud of those kids, many of whom i know well. i wish they had featured more of them. I noticed that cultural differences were very played down (puerto rican, dominican) and a kind of general pan-latino identity emerged from it all. i'm not sure if this is due to the political position of being a non-for-profit, or what, but it struck me since many kids i know there are very involved in either bomba y plena groups, palo groups, or are starting their own old-time merengue bands outside the harbor.

I also noticed no mention of the johnny colon school, probably for reasons you already discussed. Despite this, i have a good deal of respect for Ramon and the work he does.

When Willie Colon talked about salsa lyrics becoming more political (in 'A bronx tale), he mentioned the song 'se te quemó la casa'. he recorded it on 'there goes the neighborhood'--i didn't know that it was an Orlando Marín original. Johnny A. told me that the album title really wasn't about the S. Bronx fires, so maybe i was jumping to assume this.

Thanks again,
Victoria