View Single Post
Old 02-26-2003, 07:20 PM

Cool

Hello Diana and Charles I just joined the chat room on site and was literally blown away by your discussion on the great musicians and bands that existed during our day. I too was a musician during this period and played with a band called La Preferida. We rehearsed at the old warehouse site on 103st. between Park avenie and Lexington. I too listened to Dick Ricardo Sugar as well as the late great Symphony Sid and later on Joe Gaines. I found a web site titled La Musica.com which contained a three hour show headed by Joe Gaines. It is titled the Joe Gaines Express #45. It features the likes of Willie Colon, Eddie palmieri, Tito, Roberto Roena and the Apollo sound, The New Swing sextette, Johnny Colon, Joe Cuba, Joe Quijano to mention a few. I remember playing along side Mongo Santamaria at the amphitheater on 102st btwn Madison and Park Ave. I remember seeing Cal Tjader, Willi Bobo and Joe Quijano on the same stage. I also played along Mr. Gypsy Woman, Joe Batann. There is so much to write and not enough time to sit here and do it. I left N.Y.C. in 1971 for the military, traveled and settled down in Sacramento, Ca. in 1978. i still visit N.Y.C. at least 2 to 3 times a year if not more. Live 365 is also a websitte that features our music. Please keep in touch.