View Single Post
Old 06-21-2001, 08:11 PM

Old Bands from El Barrio

Both the New Swing Sextet and Joey Pastrana are still alive and kicking. Pastrana lives in Queens and The New Swing Sextet still play on occassion, albeit with several new members from the original group.

If I'm not mistaken I believe "BOOGALOO BLUES" was recorded by Johnny Colón, who is also alive and kicking and contineus to run the Johnny Colón East Harlem Music School. A school which, might I add, spawned the talents of Tito Nieves and, East Harlem's own, Marc Anthony among others.

One of the last living legends STILL living in El Barrio, Joe Cuba will be performing with his sextet this Saturday, June 23, 2001.

From 12:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., "The Puerto Rican Cultural Village" will present shows and workshops at the Riverside Church, 490 Riverside Drive (between 120th and 122nd Streets) in Manhattan. Featuring a clave percussion workshop lead by Jose Rivera (Bomba Y Plena Cafe); Bomba/Plena Dance Workshop with Los Amigos De La Plena lead by Jose Rivera; Applause Dance Group lead by Taina Traverso; The Myths and Mysteries of Taino Indians with Master storyteller Bobby Gonzalez; and The Joe Cuba Sextet.

For more information, visit www.theriversidechurchny.org

Richie