View Single Post
Old 04-16-2003, 09:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Ana Send a message via Yahoo to Ana
El Barrio

With regard to the NYTimes article...I am a product of El Barrio. While it's true that as you get older you appreciate the better things of life, i.e., clean buildings, less noise, etc., you never forget the place where you grew up. I personally have fond memories of Spanish Harlem...I grew up in the Jefferson projects on 114th and First Avenue...right across the street from 'los Italianos'. I distinctly remember looking out the window and telling myself how lucky I was to be living in Manhattan...in El Barrio. But...ultimately, I ventured out of Manhattan and discovered that there were neighborhoods where people DO value clean, noiseless streets, clean buildings, etc. Funny, but the OLDER I get, the more I missed my "Barrio". I still live in Manhattan (Stuyvesant Town), but if I had to chose another place to move to, it would be El Barrio...simply because I STILL feel at home whenever I visit and because, of course, it's in Manhattan. Life is a cycle...everything 'moves' on...for better. Maybe we should start "giving" back to the community we grew up in to make it better in case we decided we want to go back 'home'. They say that you keep things alive by keeping the memories in your heart...EL BARRIO will always be there!